This locally sourced Traditional Afghan recipe Banjan Borani is a delicious and refreshing layered dish made with eggplant and yogurt sauce.
Things to know about Banjan Borani Recipe
In Persian, ‘Banjan or Badanjan’ is ‘eggplant,’ while ‘Borani’ is a kind of appetizer. It is used to describe many dishes made with herbs and veggies. There are many mouthwatering eggplant dishes in Central Asian Cuisine, and Banjan Borani is the ultimate delight for lovers of fresh herbs.
It has a delicious combination of yogurt and eggplant. You can say it’s among the top favorite dishes of Afghans. Traditionally it is served as a side dish or appetizer.
Depending on your liking, you can present it in layers or as separate components. It is a must-try dish from Afghan Cuisine.
Delicious Afghan Traditional Fried Eggplant with Yogurt. Authentic Recipe of Banjan Borani.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 2 pcs Eggplant – Aubergine Large
- 2 pcs Tomato Large
- 3 pcs Green Chili Medium
- 5 cloves Garlic Grated
- ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
- ¼ tssp Turmeric Powder – Curcuma Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 bunch Cilantro Chopped
- ¾ cup Yogurt
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Dry Mint Leaf Finely chopped
- Slice eggplants in half a centimeter thick slices.
- Soak the slices in salt water for 15 minutes. Then drain water and pat dry the slices.
- Heat oil in a pan, enough to shallow fry the eggplant.
- Fry the eggplants until all sides are golden brown.
- Add garlic and green chilies to the same pan, and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes and salt, cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- When tomatoes are soft add chili, turmeric, and cumin powder.
- Pour half a cup of water and cook without the lid.
- When the gravy becomes thick add pepper powder and sprinkle cilantro.
- Whisk yogurt with salt, pepper, garlic, and dried mint leaves.
- Layer eggplant at the base on a serving platter.
- Top with tomato gravy.
- Then pour yogurt sauce on the top.
- Sprinkle more mint and cilantro and serve.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Banjan Borani
You can alternate the layering pattern with yogurt as a base and fried slices at the top.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?