It is a traditional recipe for Beef meatballs served with basmati rice. Authentic Kofta Challow is cooked with delicious, aromatic spices and herbs.
Things to know about Kofta Challow Recipe
‘Kofta’ means ‘Meatballs’ and ‘Challow’ is ‘rice.’ This is another delicious recipe cooked regularly in Afghan households. Meatballs are made with lamb or beef, with a generous amount of herbs like coriander.
These meatballs are cooked and served in tomato gravy. Traditional Afghan rice or Challow is white basmati rice cooked with aromatic spices, called ‘char masala,’ which is translated as “four spices.”
However, it is a mix of 6-8 different spices. It is an easy recipe that you can cook regularly for your family. It is also suitable for big batches. Hence, many Afghans prefer it at family gatherings.
Yummy Afghan Traditional Rice and Beef Meatballs. Authentic Recipe of Kofta Challow.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 3 cups Rice
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 pc Clove
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Fresh Coriander Minced
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Ground (Minced) Beef
- 1 pc green pepper Minced
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 pcs Onion Minced
- 1 pc Egg Large
- ½ tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1½ tbsp Ground Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Salt
- ½ cup Oil
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup Water
- Wash and soak rice in water for an hour before cooking.
- Boil water in a large pot.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, add rice to it.
- Cook until rice is soft with only a little crunch left.
- Then strain the rice and save 1 cup of boiled water.
- Transfer rice back into the pot, add oil, spices, and 1 cup of water that we saved.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Now either cook rice in a 250F or 120C heated oven or seal the pot with a lid and a kitchen towel and cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- In a bowl, combine meat, eggs, spices, coriander, half of the onion, garlic, and green peppers.
- Make small balls about 2 inches in diameter.
- In a medium pan, sauté the other half of the onion. Add tomato sauce.
- Add water and cook on high heat for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add meatballs to the gravy. Simmer for 30 minutes.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
What to serve with Kofta Challow?
It can be served with rice, salad, or a yogurt sauce called Raita.
Variations of Kofta Challow
You can use lamb instead of beef.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?