Things to know about Şirin Plov Recipe
‘Sirin’ means ‘sweet’. This delicious sweet rice recipe comes from the Mountain Jews of Azerbaijan. It’s quite popular to cook this rich plov for celebrations. It’s made with lots of dry fruits, raisins, chestnuts, quince, and prunes. When these sweet and tangy fruits mix with the meat it gives a delicious flavor. You can cook it with either lamb or beef. You can also add more types of dry fruits and nuts as much as you want. There are dozens of pilaf verities from Azerbaijan but this rich and tasty version is a winner of its kind.
Delicious Azerbaijani Traditional Lamb and Dry Fruit Served with Rice. Authentic Recipe of Şirin Plov.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 700 grams (1.54 lb) Lamb Diced to size of an egg
- 1 pc Onion Halved
- 1 pc Quince – Cydonia Sliced into quarters
- 1 cup Chestnut Shelled cooked
- ½ cup Raisin
- ½ cup Apricot
- ½ cup Sour Prune
- 1 pinch Turmeric Powder – Curcuma Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 6 cups Broth Lamb
- 3 tbsp Salt
- 225 grams (7.94 oz) Butter
- ½ tsp Saffron
- Fry the meat in a non-stick pan without oil until all sides are brown.
- Add water to the pot enough to cover the meat and bring it to a boil.
- Skim any foam on top.
- Reduce heat and add salt, pepper, and onion. Cook until meat is tender.
- Wash and dry the dry fruits.
- Remove the onion from the broth and mash it.
- Take another bigger pot, collect some fat from the broth and add it to the pot.
- Add the mashed onion and fry lightly.
- Add all the dry fruits to it.
- Separate meat from broth and add with fruits. Also, add a cup of broth.
- Mix and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- If there is less broth at the end add some more.
- Your stew will be ready.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2 hours before cooking.
- Fill a pot with meat broth, and bring it to a boil.
- Strain rice and then put it into boiling broth.
- Over medium heat, cook rice for 5-10 minutes depending on the variety you are using. Keep stirring slowly.
- Remove from the heat when the rice grain is soft at the ends but a little crunch remains in the center.
- Strain the rice. If rice is too salty, you can wash it or run tap water over it.
- Take another pot and melt butter in it. Then layer rice over it and drizzle more butter.
- Layer rice in 2-3 parts, then you can sprinkle saffron water on the top layer.
- Poke 4-5 holes in the rice, all the way to the base. It’ll help in evaporation.
- Wrap the lid with a kitchen towel and seal it completely.
- Cook for 30 -40 minutes on very low heat.
Serve with rice on the platter and pour Nukhorush stew on top.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.