Things to know about Fesenjan Shakh plov Recipe
This Mouthwatering dish is special for celebratory events. There are many Pilaf recipes in Azeri Cuisine but it has the place of a king also called shah or shakh. It’s a traditional pilaf inspired by Persian Fesejan. Ethnic Azeri used to place a horseshoe or a nail in the pot to get beautiful brown color with purple hues that form due to walnuts and pomegranate. Still, many people don’t find the dish visually appealing but the taste beats every other pilaf. It is served as a rice cake made with Lavash bread, which’s cut to get beautiful orange-red saffron rice. You should try this not-so-easy but delicious dish.
Mouthwatering Azerbaijani Traditional Rice Cake with Chicken Stew in Walnut and Pomegranate Syrup. Authentic Recipe of Fesenjan Shakh Plov.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1000 grams (2.2 lb) Chicken Cut into medium pieces
- 1 pc Onion Rings (Slice thinly)
- 1 cup Walnut Ground
- 3 tbsp Pomegranate Syrup – Pomegranate Molasses – Pomegranate Concentrate – Narsharab
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 3000 ml (101.44 floz) Water
- 3 tbsp Salt
- 225 grams (7.94 oz) Butter
- ½ tsp Saffron
- 3 pcs Lavash Bread – Thin Flatbread
- In a pot, add water and chicken.
- Bring it to a boil and remove any foam that appears on top.
- Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until it’s completely cooked.
- Then remove the pot from heat, and let it cool.
- Separate chicken from broth.
- Strain the stock and set it aside for further use.
- Heat enough butter and sauté onion until transparent.
- Add ground walnuts and pomegranate syrup. Mix it thoroughly, and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add the chicken and water to it. Let it simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Pomegranate syrup can stick with the chicken so keep stirring occasionally.
- Cook it until a brownish-purple hue appears. Your stew will be ready.
- Mix the saffron threads with two tablespoons of hot water. Set aside.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2 hours before cooking.
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt to it and bring it to a boil.
- Strain the rice and then put it into boiling water.
- Over medium heat, cook for 5-10 minutes depending on the variety of rice you are using. Keep stirring slowly.
- Remove from heat when the rice grain is soft at the ends but a little crunch remains in the center.
Layering Shakh Plov
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C degrees.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a shallow pot and grease it thoroughly.
- Spread the bread covering the base and sides of the pot not leaving any opening.
- Grease all slices of bread with melted butter and add a layer of rice.
- Drizzle 2-3 tbsp of melted butter. Layer more rice and add butter again.
- Layer rice in 2-3 parts, then you can sprinkle saffron water on the top layer.
- Wrap the lavash over rice and seal it completely.
- Place in the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Then transfer into a platter upside down.
- You can cut the crust into portions for serving.
Fesenjan Kofte Plov; An Azerbaijani Pilaf made with rice and meatballs served in walnuts and pomegranate sauce. Khoresh Fesenjan is an Iranian Recipe for chicken stew with walnut and pomegranate concentrate.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.