Fesenjan Kofte Plov is an Azerbaijani recipe of meatballs and rice, flavored with nutty walnuts and tangy Pomegranate concentrate called Narsharab.
Things to know about Fesenjan Kofte Plov Recipe
It’s a delicious signature Azeri Recipe. A Persian Fesenjan inspires Fesenjan, but it has become part of Traditional Azeri Cuisine for so long now. While the Persians prefer chicken stew, Azeris being meat lovers cook it with Lamb or Beef.
We use pomegranate syrup, called ‘Narsharab’ in Azeri, or simple pomegranate molasses if the syrup is not available. However, molasses is a bit sour so it’s better to add some sugar to it.
The stew itself is nutty because of the walnuts but the tangy flavor of pomegranate gives a very refreshing touch to the meat. When paired with red and orange steamed saffron rice it gives a beautiful visual appeal.
Delicious Azerbaijani Traditional Rice and Meatballs Served in Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce. Authentic Recipe of Fesenjan Kofte Plov.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Ground (Minced) Lamb
- 1 pc Onion Rings (Slice thinly)
- 1 cup Walnut Ground
- 3 tbsp Pomegranate Syrup – Pomegranate Molasses – Pomegranate Concentrate – Narsharab
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1½ cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 3000 ml (101.44 floz) Water
- 3 tbsp Salt
- 225 grams (7.94 oz) Butter
- ½ tsp Saffron
- 1 pc Qazmaq Bread
- Mix meat, salt, and, pepper in a bowl.
- Use your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Then wet your hands with water and make small meatballs, about the size of a large walnut.
- Heat enough butter in a pan to fry the meatballs over medium heat.
- Stir slowly for even browning.
- Heat enough butter and sauté onion until transparent.
- Add ground walnut and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Nar sharab or pomegranate syrup along with meatballs and mix thoroughly.
- Add water and let the mixture cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Pomegranate syrup may stick with the meat so keep stirring in between.
- Mix the saffron threads with two tablespoons of hot water. Set aside.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2 hours before cooking.
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt to it and bring it to a boil.
- Strain the rice and then put it into boiling water.
- Over medium heat, cook for 5-10 minutes depending on the variety of rice you are using. Keep stirring slowly.
- Remove from heat when the rice grain is soft at the ends but a little crunch remains in the center.
- Take another pot and melt butter in it.
- Place the bread at the base, then layer rice on top.
- Drizzle 2-3 tbsp. of melted butter, layer more rice and butter again.
- Layer rice in 2-3 parts, then you can sprinkle saffron water on the top layer.
- Poke 4-5 holes in the rice, all the way to the base. It’ll help in evaporation.
- Wrap the lid with a kitchen towel and seal it completely.
- Cook for 30 -40 minutes on very low heat.
- When the rice is ready, transfer to a serving platter with qazmash bread served at the top. Pour Fesenjan stew over rice or place in a separate bowl.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
What to serve with Fesenjan Kofte Plov?
Serve with Rice and qazmash bread. You can serve the stew over rice or on a separate platter.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?