Things to know about Qatiq Plov Recipe
In Azeri, ‘Qatiq’ means ‘yogurt’. This is a very traditional dish shared from generation to generation of Iravan. There are dozens of pilaf recipes in Azeri cuisine but qatiq pilaf has kept its authenticity. There are no added oils or fats, the stew is complexly cooked in yogurt and kept in a cheesecloth overnight, and drain the whey to get a cheese-like consistency. The sweet and tangy flavor works amazing with seasoning and meat and produces delicious flavor. Traditionally it is served with rice but you can also serve it with a simple bread. You can cook it with either lamb or beef lean meat.
Delicious Azerbaijani Traditional Yogurt Lamb Stew with Rice. Authentic Recipe of Qatiq Plov.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 900 grams (1.98 lb) Plain Yogurt
- 700 grams (1.54 lb) Lamb Lean, diced
- 1 pc Onion Thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp Saffron
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 3000 ml (101.44 floz) Water
- 3 tbsp Salt
- 225 grams (7.94 oz) Butter
- ½ tsp Saffron
- 1 pc Qazmaq Bread or tortilla
- Strain the yogurt with a cheesecloth. Place a colander over a bowl and leave the yogurt in a cheesecloth inside the colander for one night.
- The whey will strain and you will get a cottage cheese-like consistency.
- Heat butter in a saucepan and fry meat pieces in it.
- Lightly brown from all sides.
- Add onion to the pan and sauté on medium heat.
- The meat will release some juice then add salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Let it simmer until the meat is completely cooked.
- If the meat starts burning just add a cup of hot water.
- Add drained yogurt to a pan, heat it, and mix saffron.
- Cook over low heat and keep stirring to get a paste-like consistency and yellow color from the saffron.
- Then add cooked meat to it and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Mix saffron threads with two tablespoons of hot water.
- Keep it aside for a while.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2 hours before cooking.
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt to it and bring it to a boil.
- Strain rice and then put it into boiling water.
- Over medium heat, cook for about 5-10 minutes depending on the variety you are using.
- Keep stirring slowly.
- Remove from heat when the rice grain is soft at the ends but a little crunch remains in the center.
- Strain the rice and run tap water over it.
- Take another pot and melt butter in it.
- Place the bread at the base, then layer rice on top.
- Drizzle 2-3 tbsp of melted butter, layer more rice, and add butter again.
- Layer rice in 2-3 parts, then you can sprinkle saffron water on the top layer.
- Poke 4-5 holes in the rice, all the way to the base. It’ll help in evaporation.
- Wrap the lid with a kitchen towel and seal it completely.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes on very low heat. When rice is ready, transfer to a serving platter with qazmash bread served at the top. Then pour Qatiq stew over it.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?