Tasty British Traditional Beef Stew and Dumplings Recipe is the perfect winter meal, with slow-cooked rich beef and vegetables and fluffy suet dumplings.
Things to know about Beef Stew and Dumplings Recipe
Delicious British Traditional Beef Stew and Dumplings Recipe from Britain is the perfect meal during winter.
This hearty beef stew and dumplings is packed full of vegetables, slow-cooked rich beef, and fluffy suet dumplings, a traditional meal that has been prepared on British dinner tables for many years during a cold winter evening.
Dumplings have been a long recipe in Britain dating back to AD 50, made from a mixture of flour and water before the recipe and development became more complex.
It was known that King John (1166-1216) was a dumpling lover and ensured that each Sunday, every man in his court should dine on wine and dumplings.
Delicious British Traditional Beef Stew and Dumplings from Britain. Authentic Recipe of Beef Stew and Dumplings.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 20 grams (0.71 oz) Butter
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Beef Steak Braising or thick
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 pcs Onion Medium
- 3 stalk Celery
- 3 pcs Carrot
- 1 pc Leek – Onion Leek
- 150 ml (5.07 floz) Red Wine
- 500 ml (16.91 floz) Beef Stock
- 2 pcs Bay Leaf
- 3 tbsp Dried Thyme or fresh
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 130 grams (4.59 oz) Self-Raising Flour
- 60 grams (2.12 oz) Shredded Suet
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Chop the beef into bite-sized pieces. Prepare the vegetables and individually set them aside. Peel and crush the garlic and dice the onions, celery, carrots, and leek.
- For the beef stew, in an ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat, add the oil and butter. Add in the beef and cook until all sides are brown.
- Add the flour to coat the beef pieces and cook for a few minutes before adding the garlic and the other vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, stock, Worcestershire sauce, and the thyme and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish with a lid and transfer it to the oven, leave it to cook for two hours for the meat to tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and suet. Add in the water and combine well to form a dough.
- If the dough is dry, add water one tablespoon at a time until the dough is soft and sticky.
- On a floured surface, divide the dough into 6 (depending on the serving size) and roll them out.
- After two hours in the oven, carefully remove the lid from the casserole dish and place the dumpling balls on top of the stew, making sure they have enough space so they won't stick to each other.
- Cover and return to the oven to cook the stew and dumplings for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes in the oven to create a cooked golden top for the stew.
- Serve immediately with fluffy dumplings and bubbling rich beef stew or keep refrigerated for up to two days.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Beef Stew and Dumplings
- Prepare the stew ahead of time, and allow it to cool before freezing in an airtight container for up to one month.
- Before serving, defrost overnight in the fridge. To heat the stew, place in the casserole dish with the lid on back in the oven at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, then make and add the dumplings to cook for a further 15 minutes with the lid on and a further 10 minutes without the lid.
What to serve with Beef Stew and Dumplings?
Serve with mashed potato.
Variations of Beef Stew and Dumplings
Use a variety of root vegetables in the stew. For example, suede or potatoes also can be added.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?