A Traditional Cauliflower Cheese Recipe is an indulgent authentic British side dish arguably one of the best accompaniments to a classic roast dinner.
Things to know about Cauliflower Cheese Recipe
Indulge yourself with this traditional Cauliflower Cheese recipe from England, an authentic British side dish. This recipe consists of cauliflower drowned in cheesy goodness and baked to perfection to form a crispy topping, arguably one of the best accompaniments to a classic roast dinner.
A very easy recipe to follow and guaranteed to be a hit. The key is preparation. A Traditional Cauliflower Cheese recipe is made up of chopped cauliflower florets, a white sauce, and, most importantly, lots of grated cheese. The better the cheese, the better the taste; therefore, a good quality English cheddar is preferred.
Once these elements (cauliflower, sauce, and cheese) are individually prepared, they are combined and baked. Varieties of cauliflower cheese have been adapted over time, however, this recipe provides instructions and ingredients to make the traditional Cauliflower Cheese British side dish.
Indulgent British Traditional Cauliflower Cheese from England. Authentic Recipe of Cauliflower Cheese.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 pc Cauliflower Large
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) Butter
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 600 ml (20.29 floz) Milk
- 120 grams (4.23 oz) Mature Cheddar
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg Powder
- Pre-heat the oven up to 200C/400F.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to boil.
- Prepare the cauliflower by removing the storks and cutting away the florets. Then place into the boiling water and blanch for 5 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and pour it into an ovenproof dish.
- To make the sauce, place the saucepan back on low-medium heat and add the butter to the pan. Once melted, mix in the flour to make a paste and gradually pour in the milk whisking as you go to form a smooth mixture that will begin to thicken, this will only take a few minutes. Ensure you stir continuously to avoid the mix catching the bottom of the pan.
- Once the sauce is fully combined and thickened, remove it from the heat and stir half the grated cheese into the pan.
- Next, pour the cheesy sauce evenly over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese and the nutmeg over the cauliflower.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 -25 minutes until a golden topping has formed and it is gently bubbling.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Cauliflower Cheese
- It is important to blanch the cauliflower and not boil it too long, or it will turn mushy. Ensure your pan has reached a rolling boil before adding the cauliflower, then once blanched, immediately drain to stop them from cooking further. The key to a smooth sauce is slowly adding the milk while continuously whisking. If the sauce seems lumpy, lower the heat and use a blender or whisk to break apart the lumps.
- This recipe can be made up to a day ahead, stored in the fridge, and baked on the day.
- If available, sprinkle a tablespoon of breadcrumbs on the dish before baking to create a crunchy topping.
What to serve with Cauliflower Cheese?
Serve with a joint of meat such as chicken or beef or a vegetarian nut roast.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?