British Traditional Chicken and Leek Pie Recipe is a perfect seasonal dish. A creamy pie filling and homemade pastry is the ultimate comfort food.
Things to know about Chicken and Leek Pie Recipe
Delicious British Traditional Chicken and Leek Pie Recipe is a dish exploding with seasonal winter flavor. This easy pie recipe is perfect for entertaining guests as it is a great sharing dish.
A good savory meat pie is a must-have in any pub, and Chicken and Leek is a classic combination for the ultimate comfort food: beautiful buttery pastry, chicken, and sweet leeks cooked in a creamy sauce.
Good quality pastry is important for this dish. Using good quality butter creates a crunchy, flakey, yet buttery topping that perfectly complements the stew beneath.
Delicious British Traditional Chicken and Leek Pie from Britain. Authentic Recipe of Chicken and Leek Pie.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour Plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp Salt
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) Butter Cold
- 150 ml (5.07 floz) Water Ice cold
- 1 pc Egg Large
- 4 pcs Chicken Breast Fillet
- 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200 ml (6.76 floz) Chicken Stock
- 150 ml (5.07 floz) Milk
- 2 pcs Onion
- 2 pcs Leek – Onion Leek
- 1 tsp English Mustard
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Slice the cold butter into small cubes.
- Using a pastry blender, mix the butter into the flour mixture until small crumbs of butter are formed and well coated with the flour.
- Pour in the cold water and use a spatula to combine everything to make a dough, try not to over-handle the mix.
- Shape the dough into a ball and divide it into two; one ball should be about one-third and the second ball should be two-thirds. Tightly wrap each ball in clingfilm and let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Grease your oven proofdish with butter.
- On a floured surface, roll out the larger piece of chilled pastry until it’s about 1cm (0.4 in) thick and approximately covers the length and width of your ovenproof dish including covering the height to come up at the edges.
- Lay the pastry across the bottom of your dish, leaving the pastry to come up and hang over the edges. Make sure there are no gaps in the pastry. Loosely cover and return to the fridge for an additional 20 minutes whilst you make the filling.
- Dice the chicken breast and peel and dice the onions.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onions. Add the chicken and fry until cooked.
- Add the mustard and chopped leeks and cook for a further 5 minutes so the leeks soften. Stir in the flour then add the chicken stock and milk. Let it simmer for 15 minutes for the sauce to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. On a floured surface, roll out the smaller section of the pastry into the size of your pastry dish, this will be the lid of the pie.
- Once the filling is ready, assemble the pie. Transfer the filling to the prepared crust. Once filled, use the overhanging edges to create a nice thick crust by gathering it along the dish edges.
- Take the pastry lid and lay it over the top of the pie, cut away any overhanging pieces or pinch them into the crust.
- In a small dish, beat the egg and brush the egg over the lid of the pie. Using a butter knife, lightly score the pastry creating a cross pattern.
- Place the pie into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. The pastry should be golden brown and the filling will be bubbling. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated for up to two days.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Chicken and Leek Pie
- The pastry should be as cold as possible to have a flakey texture.
- Make and assemble the pie and cover with tin foil to freeze for up to one month.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?