Jam Roly Poly Pudding is a 19th Century Classic British dessert. A simple suet sponge is rolled, wrapped, and steamed, making a fluffy sponge oozing with jam.
Things to know about Jam Roly Poly Pudding Recipe
How to make a delicious Jam Roly Poly Pudding; a light and fluffy sponge drenched in mouthwatering strawberry jam. Full of sweetness and nostalgia, this dessert is for the whole family. Jam Roly Poly Pudding is a 19th Century British dessert and a traditional household favorite.
The sponge cake wrapped in jam is the simplest of desserts yet utterly delicious. The name refers to the way the cake is made by being rolled up to form a cylinder. However, historically, the name was called a ‘shirt-sleeve pudding’, which referred to the way it was wrapped up in an old shirt sleeve and steamed.
A modern Jam Roly Poly pudding recipe consists of a flat-rolled sponge cake of flour, suet, sugar, and milk. This is then smothered in a layer of raspberry jam. The pudding is rolled up and wrapped to be steamed creating a fluffy and light sponge oozing with jam.
Delicious British Traditional Jam Filled Sponge Cake from England. Authentic Recipe of Jam Roly Poly Pudding.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour Plus extract for dusting
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Shredded Suet
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 150 ml (5.07 floz) Milk
- 8 tbsp Raspberry Jam
- 2 tbsp Raspberry Sauce
- 1 tbsp Butter For greasing
- Preheat the oven to200C/400F. Get a large sheet of parchment paper and smear the butter over one side to grease it then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, suet, and sugar until fully mixed. Gradually pour in the milk, stirring as you go to form a soft dough.
- Put the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for 5 minutes. Roll the dough to form a rectangle with similar size to your baking sheet.
- Using a butter knife, carefully spread the jam onto the dough, leaving a 1.5 cm (½ in) border.
- Using your hands, roll the dough up from the short end to form a cylinder then transfer it over to your greased parchment paper, wrap the paper around the roly poly but allow room for the paper to expand when the dough cooks and rises. Twist the ends of the papers together and using some kitchen string tie the twists to seal. Repeat this process using a sheet of kitchen foil, leaving room for expansion but ensuring the foil holds the shape.
- Place the pudding in an oven-proof dish or roasting tray (needs to be longer than the length of the pudding and at least halfway up the height) and fill the tray halfway with boiling water.
- Carefully place in the oven and cook for 35 minutes.
- Carefully remove the tray from the oven and leave 10 minutes to cool before unwrapping.
- Peel away the foil and cut away the string and parchment paper. The pudding should have been cooked and have risen, and the jam will be bubbling out. Cut into slices and serve hot.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
What to serve with Jam Roly Poly Pudding?
Serve with custard or with ice cream.
Variations of Jam Roly Poly Pudding
You can use strawberry jam instead of raspberry.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?