Things to know about Steak and Ale Pie Recipe
Delicious British Traditional Steak and Ale Pie Recipe from Britain is a staple of British pub grub. A good savory meat pie is a must-have in any pub and the classic is a British Steak and Ale Pie, the ultimate comfort food. The filling of a traditional Steak and Ale pie onions and carrots, however, adaptations are always being explored. A strong dark brown ale is the key ingredient to achieving a rich flavor. The beef is slowly braised in the ale to make it tender, saucy, and mouthwateringly delicious. A good quality pastry is important for this dish, using good quality butter creates a crunchy, flakey yet buttery topping that perfectly complements the stew beneath.
Delicious British Traditional Steak and Ale Pie from Britain. Authentic Recipe of Steak and Ale Pie.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour Plus extra for dusting
- 1 ts[ Salt
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) Butter Cold
- 150 ml (5.07 floz) Water Ice cold
- 1 pc Egg Large
- 1000 grams (2.2 lb) Braising Steak
- 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 300 ml (10.14 floz) Brown Ale
- 3 pcs Onion
- 4 pcs Carrot
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 300 ml (10.14 floz) Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree Or Tomato Paste
- Slice the beef into bite-size pieces. Combine the meat and flour in a freezer bag and seal. Shake the bag until the beef is well coated with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Fry the beef until golden brown.
- Transfer the beef to a large bowl and add a dash of ale for the beef to soak up.
- Peel and dice the onions and carrots. Using the same saucepan, add a dash of oil and bring to medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and thyme and cook until soft.
- Put the meat back into the saucepan and add the stock and ale along with the tomato puree/paste. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and lower the heat, let it simmer for one to one and a half hours. The sauce will thicken and the beef will be tender. If the pot begins to look a little dry, add some water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Slice the cold butter into small cubes.
- Using a pastry blender, mix the butter into the flour mixture until small crumbs of butter are formed and well coated with the flour.
- Pour in the cold water and use a spatula to combine everything to make a dough, try not to over-handle the mix.
- Shape the dough into a ball and divide it into two; one ball should be about one-third and the second ball should be two-thirds. Tightly wrap each ball in clingfilm and let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Grease your oven proofdish with butter.
- On a floured surface, roll out the larger piece of chilled pastry until it’s about 1cm (0.4 in) thick and approximately covers the length and width of your ovenproof dish including covering the height to come up at the edges.
- Lay the pastry across the bottom of your dish, leaving the pastry to come up and hang over the edges. Make sure there are no gaps in the pastry. Loosely cover and return to the fridge.
- On a floured surface, roll out the smaller section of the pastry into the size of your pastry dish, this will be the lid of the pie.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Once the filling is ready, assemble the pie. Transfer the filling to the prepared crust. Once filled, use the overhanging edges to create a nice thick crust by gathering it along the dish edges.
- Take the pastry lid and lay it over the top of the pie, cut away any overhanging pieces or pinch them into the crust.
- In a small dish, beat the egg and brush the egg over the lid of the pie. Using a butter knife, lightly score the pastry creating a cross pattern.
- Place the pie into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. The pastry should be golden brown and the filling will be bubbling. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated for up to two days.
- Make and assemble the pie and cover it with tin foil to freeze for up to one month.
- You can add celery for additional vegetables.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?