Things to know about Wenchang Jī Recipe
Migrants were first to serve Chinese Traditional Boiled Chicken from Wenchang at Hainan Island, located in the far south of China. They came from the Southeast part of Asia in the 20th century.
Wenchang chicken is boiled using salt and water only, and the flavor purely comes from the chicken itself. It may be served with sauce from salt-fermented yellow chilies. Another version of this dish is the Hainanese chicken rice which is popular in Southeast Asia. In Hainan Island, a feast is not complete without Wenchang chicken at the table. It is a must-eat delicacy that you can cook in your kitchen by following the recipe below.
Delightful Chinese Traditional Boiled Chicken from Wenchang. Authentic Recipe of Wenchang Jī.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 590 grams (1.3 lb) Chicken Whole, free range
- 2 tbsp Kitchen Salt – Cooking Salt – Kosher Salt – Rock Salt – Flake Salt – Kashering Salt
- 2 pcs Scallion Cut into 2 inches (5 cm) length
- 1 pc Fresh Ginger Root Cut into ¼ inches (0.5 cm) thick
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Ground White Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Green Chili Minced
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger Root Minced
- 1 tsp Kitchen Salt – Cooking Salt – Kosher Salt – Rock Salt – Flake Salt – Kashering Salt
- ½ tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 2 pcs Calamansi Lime – Calamondina
- Prepare all ingredients and properly weigh each one ahead of time.
- Clean the chicken using running water and pat it dry with a clean paper towel.
- Rub the skin and the inside with salt and wrap the chicken with food-grade plastic. Make sure not to wrap it too tightly.
- Refrigerate the chicken for 12 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap the chicken, put the scallion and ginger inside its cavity, and tie its legs together using kitchen twine.
- Using a medium-sized pot, fill it with water.
- Heat the pot in medium fire and bring it to boil for about 15 minutes.
- Afterward, take it out of the fire, cover the pot tightly, and leave it for 1 hour.
- After an hour, uncover the pot and transfer the chicken to a bowl of ice water. Leave it for 10 minutes to stop the cooking process. Use a tong to move the chicken carefully.
- Drain the water and put it on top of a paper towel. Do not pat it dry.
- Put the chicken on a cutting board.
- Brush the skin of the chicken with sesame oil.
- Cut the chicken into several pieces and transfer to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle it with some white pepper.
- Using a small bowl, combine salt, garlic, ginger, sugar, and chili. Squeeze the calamansi into the bowl and remove the seeds.
- Scrape the rind and finely chop and add into the bowl of sauce.
- Scrape fat on top of the cooking broth and put into the sauce bowl with 5 tbsp of cooking broth.
- Serve the sauce along with the Wenchang Chicken.
- Do not overcook the chicken. The meat should be pale pink.
- If it is colored brown or grey, then it means that your chicken is overcooked.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.