Chinese Traditional Braised Tofu – Jiā Cháng Dòu Fù is an authentic home-cooked dish in a clay pot with an inviting aroma and savory taste.
Things to know about Jiā Cháng Dòu Fù Recipe
Chinese Traditional Braised Tofu – Jiā Cháng Dòu Fù is a typical meal in Chinese households. It is called dòufǔ in Chinese which means “bean curd.” It is cooked using a clay pot to achieve an earthy aroma that is very inviting.
The tofu itself believes to originate from China, but there are different theories about how it all started. Today, the method of preparing tofu already spread in diverse parts of Asia.
According to writings and poetry from the Yuan and Song dynasties, Tofu was an important part of their cuisine. Hence, ancient people standardized the technique of preparing even during that time.
Before, refrigeration is not available, so tofu is only available during winter in China. The dish is perfect for vegetarians who want to increase their protein intake. It is unique because it works like a sponge that absorbs all flavors added to it.
Savory Chinese Traditional Braised Tofu. Authentic Recipe of Jiā Cháng Dòu Fù.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 400 grams (14.11 oz) tofu
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil For shallow frying
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chili Bean Paste – Chili Bean Sauce
- 4 pcs Shiitake Mushroom Dried and sliced
- 250 mL (8.45 floz) Water For soaking the mushroom
- 1/2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 4 pcs Chilli Pepper Chopped
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Water
- 1 pc Scallion Garnish. Finely chopped
- Prepare and measure all ingredients accurately ahead of time.
- Add water to the shiitake mushroom and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into a triangular shape about 2 cm and 3.4 inches thick and pat it dry using a paper towel.
- Over low fire, heat the oil in the frying pan. Make sure that the oil is enough to cover half of the tofu’s thickness.
- Your oil is ready for frying once bubbles form when you dip a chopstick into the oil.
- Gently slide the tofu into the frying pan one at a time. Cook until both sides of the tofu are golden brown.
- Transfer the tofu to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Using the same pan you used for the tofu, remove excess oil and leave just enough for sautéing.
- Sauté the garlic and chili bean paste on medium fire until it fragrant.
- Add the shiitake mushroom with its water, sugar, and soy sauce. Bring to boil.
- Add the chili pepper and fried tofu into the sauce and cover. Braise it for 2 minutes on low fire. You may add some water if needed.
- Make starch water and pour it gradually into the sauce while stirring.
- Once the sauce thickens, transfer it to a serving plate and top it with scallion.
- Serve the dish while hot.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Jiā Cháng Dòu Fù
It is important to use firm tofu for the dish.
Variations of Jiā Cháng Dòu Fù
In case you cannot find chili bean paste, you can substitute it with pickled chili garlic sauce, but the final state is a bit different. You can also use other condiments found in your local store you just need to adjust according to your taste.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?