Things to know about Chéngzǐ jī Recipe
Chinese Traditional Orange Chicken from Hunan – Chéngzǐ jī is from the Hunan province but quickly became very popular in North America inside different fast-food restaurants. The dish is composed of a buttered chicken that is stir fry with sweet and sour orange sauce with a bit of spice. In the United States, there is a restaurant called Panda Express, which credits itself as the first to create its American version. The difference is that it is sweeter than the original Chinese version. It is best enjoyed together with steamed rice on the side.
Sweet and Savory Chinese Traditional Orange Chicken from Hunan. Authentic Recipe of Chéngzǐ jī.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 450 grams (15.87 oz) Chicken Thighs (top part of the chicken leg) Boneless
- ¼ tsp Sesame Oil
- ⅛ tsp Ground White Pepper Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chinese Cooking Wine – Shaoxing Wine – Shaosing Wine
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1½ cups Vegetable Oil For shallow frying
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 6 pcs Dried Red Chili
- 4 pcs Orange Peel or dried tangerine (optional)
- 2 pcs Star Anise
- ¼ cup Orange Juice Fresh
- ¼ cup Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar – Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch For slurry
- 2 tbsp Water For slurry
- 1 pc Scallion Sliced
- Prepare and measure all ingredients accurately ahead of time.
- Using a medium bowl, mix the white pepper, garlic powder, sesame oil, salt, and Shaoxing wine. Mix well.
- Put the chicken in the mixture and toss to cover it well. Set it aside for 20 minutes.
- Pour cornstarch into a shallow bowl and put the chicken. Make sure that each piece is covered properly.
- Using a frying pan, heat the oil on medium fire until it reaches 176C or 350F.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown and transfers it to a plate with a paper towel at the bottom.
- Heat another frying pan on medium fire and add vegetable oil.
- Stir fry the dried chili, orange peel, and star anise for 20 seconds. Make sure not to burn the ingredients.
- Afterward, add the chicken stock, orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Make the slurry using the water and cornstarch and add it to the sauce mixture.
- Stir it constantly to avoid having small lumps. Once the sauce thickens, add the chicken into the sauce.
- Fully cover the chicken with the sauce and add the scallion on top.
- Toss everything quickly and serve while hot.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.