Things to know about Cong You Bing Recipe
Chinese Traditional Scallion Pancake from Shanghai – Cong You Bing is an unleavened bread prepared using wheat flour with oil and filled with minced scallions. Some other ingredients are also added, such as sesame seed, fennel, and bell peppers, aside from scallion. However, if you want to create the authentic one, try making it with scallions only. It’s best to eat it right after cooking while it is still hot, cut it into several pieces, and enjoy it with a soy-based sauce. According to some food historians, the origin of the dish is still unclear, but most of them believe that it came from Shanghai. This dish is very close to an Indian dish called paratha, which is a flatbread. It is famous street food all over China and Taiwan. Its unique flavor and texture will make you want to eat more.
Crispy and Flaky Chinese Traditional Scallion Pancake from Shanghai. Authentic Recipe of Cong You Bing.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup Water Boiling
- 1/2 cup Water Cold
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil For the batter
- 1 tbsp Oil For cooking
- 2 cups Scallion Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Chili Oil
- Prepare and measure all ingredients accurately ahead of time.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour and salt. Mix.
- Create a well at the center of the flour and pour the hot water.
- Wait for about10 minutes then pour the cold water and vegetable oil into the flour mixture.
- Mix everything using your hand to form a ball for 5 minutes until it becomes very smooth. The dough will become very soft. Cover it using plastic wrap and let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll it into a log, divide the dough into four pieces, and roll each into a flat disc.
- Brush the top with oil and sprinkle with five-spice and chopped scallion. Make sure to leave a space of 1 cm / 0.40 inches at the edges.
- Roll into a long thin log and form a snail shell-like shape, then cover with a damp clean cloth and let it rest for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Flatten it after resting to create a disc.
- Over a low fire, brush a pan with some oil. Put the pancake into the pan and cook until the edges become slightly brown for about 2 to 3 minutes, then flip. Fry the other side of the pancake for another 1 to 2minutes.
- Press the pancake a little while cooking using a wooden spatula, especially at the center, to ensure that the pancake is evenly cooked.
- Remove from heat and slice it forming small triangles.
- Mix all ingredients of the dipping sauce and serve it together with the scallion pancake.
- If you prefer a softer pancake, you may add a little more water to the batter.
- You can prepare them ahead of time and freeze them and then serve for later.
You may create your own version of dipping sauce, depending on your preference, and serve it with the scallion pancake.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.