Things to know about Kolokithakia Tiganita Recipe
Kolokithakia Tiganita is a classic meze appetizer in Greece. These meze platters are packed with many dishes and dips that can be eaten together or separately on their own. They are served before a big meal and are an essential part of Greek Cuisine. They are shared by the whole table and include many popular Greek dishes and dips.
For kolokithakia tiganita, the zucchinis are sliced and battered in an egg mixture then fried until they are golden and crispy. They are perfect to eat with tzatziki or garlic skordalia dip. It can be a challenge to fry kolokithakia tiganita due to their nature of soaking all the oil and becoming mushy. This recipe will help you with this issue and ensure your zucchinis are cooked properly. This easy and practical recipe is the way to many delicious fried dishes in Greek Cuisine.
Crunchy Greek Fried Zucchini Fritters. Traditional Recipe of Kolokithakia Tiganita.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 5 pcs Zucchini – Courgette Medium
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 50 ml (1.69 floz) Vegetable Oil
- Wash the zucchinis well since kolokithakia tiganita is fried with the skin on. Slice the zucchinis lengthwise.
- Put the zucchini slices in a colander and sprinkle the salt on top and let sit for 1 hour.
- Coat the zucchinis in flour and chill them in the fridge for 3-4 hours. The excess moisture coming out of the zucchinis will turn the flour into a batter.
- In a large skillet with high sides, heat the vegetable oil. Check if the oil is hot by frying a piece of zucchini in the oil. If the piece bubbles on the sides the oil is ready.
- Fry the zucchinis for 2 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove the zucchinis from the skillet with a slotted spoon and dry on a paper towel for 1-2 minutes.
- Salt right after and serve hot. Kalí órexi! Enjoy your meal!
- Do not use a pot, use a skillet with 5 cm (2 in) high sides. This will prevent the oil from smoking up too much.
- If you don’t have the time to place the zucchini in the fridge. Mix the flour with 2-3 tbsp of water until it becomes a batter. Then you can dip the zucchini in and fry it.
To have the best crispy Kolokithakia Tiganita slice the zucchinis thinly.
By salting the zucchini and letting them sit for 30-60 minutes you will remove the excess water so that when you fry them, they won’t be soggy.
The oil should be hot when frying so the zucchini does not just absorb the oil, when the oil is hot the zucchini will crisp up.
Fry the zucchinis in batches, don’t overcrowd the pan, and cook your zucchini in one layer. Crowding the pan will result in the temperature of the oil decreasing, and the zucchini won’t cook all the way. Vegetable oil has less of a flavor compared to olive oil as well, which ensures the zucchinis keep their original flavor.
Serve kolokithakia tiganita with yogurt-based dips like tzatziki, skordalia, or as a part of a meze platter.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.