A meze-stable Greek dip with baked eggplants, garlic, and olive oil. This creamy dip Melitzanosalata is great for a quick snack or as an appetizer.
Things to know about Melitzanosalata Recipe
Eggplant is a big part of Mediterranean Cuisine and is used in many classic Greek recipes. This versatile vegetable can be baked, fried, or sauteed there are no limitations. Melitzanosalata is a popular meze stable in Greek cuisine. Meze platters are packed with many dishes and dips that can be eaten together or separately on their own.
They are served before a big meal and are an essential part of Greek Cuisine. They are shared by the whole table and include many popular Greek dishes and dips. The secret to a traditional Melitzanosalata is the eggplant used for it. Purple eggplants are called Tsakoniki aubergine in Greece and are native there.
They are known for their sweet taste rather than a bitter one. That is why they are perfect for Melitzanes Tiganites. During August, a yearly eggplant festival is held in Greece to promote these local eggplants. There are eggplant recipe competitions at the festival, with more than 500 dishes prepared.
By baking the eggplants for a long time and at a high temperature, you ensure they are soft, and the flesh infuses its slightly smoky taste to the flesh. Eggplants have thick skin, so you need to keep them for an hour in the oven for the insides to be soft enough to blend. This step gives Melitzanosalata its distinctive taste on top of the sweet taste of Tsakoniki aubergine.
Creamy Greek Traditional Eggplant Dip. Authentic Recipe of Melitzanosalata.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 4 pcs Eggplant – Aubergine Purple, Large
- ½ pc Red Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 125 ml (4.23 floz) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Fresh Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/400 °F. Make some holes on the eggplants with a fork if you are cooking them whole. If you want to cook them faster you can slice the eggplants.
- Place the eggplants on a baking tray and bake for an hour.
- After the eggplants are done, remove the skin and dice them.
- In a blender add your onions, garlic, parsley, and seasoning. Blend while gradually adding olive oil.
- Let melitzanosalata cool down in the fridge for 15 minutes and for the flavors to be incorporated.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and serve cold. Kalíórexi! Enjoy your meal!
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Melitzanosalata
- You can elevate this Melitzanosalata by adding cheese, spices, fresh herbs, or vegetables.
- You can chop the eggplants or mash them with a fork. For this, blend all the ingredients except the eggplants. Add the eggplants after you blend the rest of the ingredients.
- Be sure to cook the eggplants for an hour or more until the insides are soft enough to mash.
What to serve with Melitzanosalata?
Serve this Melitzanosalata with pita, crusty bread, chips, or a meze platter.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?