Things to know about Rogan Josh Recipe
The Indian Traditional Boiled Lamb or Rogan Josh is a signature delicacy of the valley of Kashmir. Rogan Josh is cooked with the aroma of fennel seeds and saffron.
A must in Wazwan, which is a multi-course meal prepared in Kashmir, Rogan Josh is considered to be a pride and art in Kashmiri culture. “Rogan” means “clarified butter” or “oil” in Persian, and “Josh” means “stew”. Thus, Rogan Josh may mean stewed in Ghee/clarified butter.
Rogan Josh was brought to the valley by Mughals who in turn, were influenced by Persian cuisine. Though, the presence of the dish in Iran is seldom today. The red-colored stew is often prepared on occasions like Eid or weddings. A special professional cook, called Waaza, is in charge of preparing the meal.
Delicious Indian Traditional Boiled Lamb from Kashmir. Authentic Recipe of Rogan Josh.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 5 tbsp Clarified Butter
- 4 pcs Black Cardamom Crushed
- 5 pcs Clove Crushed
- 10 pcs Black Peppercorn Crushed
- 5 pcs Dried Red Chili
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 800 grams (1.76 lb) Mutton
- ½ cup Water (1st)
- 1 cup Water (2nd)
- 2 tbsp Milk Hot
- ⅛ tsp Saffron
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Flour
- 1½ tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 3 tsp Fennel Seed Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger Powder
- 1 tbsp Ground Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Soak saffron in milk for some time.
- Heat the clarified butter in a pressure cooker.
- Add black cardamom, cloves, and peppercorns to the pressure cooker and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add red chili, cumin seeds, and asafoetida to the cooker.
- Now add the mutton and cook it on high heat for 5 minutes until the mutton turns slightly brown.
- Add water (1st) to the cooker and cook for about 12 minutes on a low flame.
- Take a bowl and add yogurt and flour. Whisk them well.
- Add Kashmiri red chili powder, fennel powder, dry ginger powder, coriander powder, salt, and milk with saffron to the yogurt mixture. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Add this mixture to the cooker and cook for a minute.
- Add water (2nd) and cook the mutton for 20 minutes on medium heat until done.
- Remove the cooker from the heat.
- Instead of using clarified butter, you can also use oil.
- You can also use a pan instead of a pressure cooker.
The characteristic red color of Rogan Josh comes from Kashmiri red chili, you can also use other types of red chili.
Rogan Josh is served with simple steamed rice.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.