Shami Kebab is a spherical, grilled Mutton dish, a signature of Kashmiri cuisine. The patty is composed of soft minced meat.
Things to know about Shami Kebab Recipe
It is believed that the word “Shami” comes from the word “Shaam,” which means “dinner” and “night” in Persian. “Shaam” also means “night” in Urdu and “Hindi.” The name is also believed to be derived from the scent of “Itr,” which is called “Shamama.” It may also refer to Modern Syria, Bilad al-Sham.
The dish is famous in Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, and Punjab. Apart from India, the dish is also consumed in Bangladesh and the Middle East.
The dish can be garnished with lemon juice and served with onions. Traditional Chutneys like Green Chutney, which is a sauce made with cilantro and mint, are often served with the dish. Shami Kebab is served on the occasion of Eid along with Sheer Khurma, a vermicelli pudding.
Shami Kebab – Indian Traditional Grilled Minced Mutton from Kashmir
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Mutton Boneless
- 1/3 cup Yellow Gram
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder – Curcuma Powder
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3 units Cardamom
- 2 units Red Chili
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger Root chopped
- 3 units Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 unit Onion
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 units Egg
- 1 unit Green Chili
- 2 tsp Oil
- 2 tsp Fresh Coriander Leaf
- 2 tsp Fresh Mint Leaf
- Add yellow gram to a pot after soaking and draining it.
- Add ginger, garlic, salt, turmeric, red chili powder, red chilies, Garam Masala, cinnamon stick, cumin, green cardamoms, and Mutton.
- Add water. Cook the ingredients partially until the Mutton is soft and tender.
- Let the water evaporate from the pot completely.
- Add the mixture to a blender.
- Now, add green chilies, onions, mint, and coriander leaves.
- Break an egg in a bowl and beat it.
- Add egg to the mixture and make a dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 or 10 equal pieces.
- Make a circular shape and flatten them.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the Kebabs one by one and fry until golden.
- Remove and serve.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
What to serve with Shami Kebab?
Serve Shami Kebab with sauces or dips called chutneys.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?