Rista is a mouth-watering dish made with lamb meatballs prepared with spices. The dish takes a lot of effort and time but is always worth making.
Things to know about Rista Recipe
The Indian Traditional Lamb Meatball or Rista is an important dish of Kashmiri cuisine. Made with a range of varied spices, Rista requires some effort and time to prepare.
The meatballs are cooked in red gravy, which comes from a special dried flower from Kashmir called cockscomb.
The dish is essential in Wazwan, a multi-course meal in Kashmiri cuisine. Wazwan has over 36 dishes, and Rista is the first meal served by the traditional cook called “Waaza”. The cuisine makes an appearance on a variety of occasions, including weddings and funerals.
Yummy Indian Traditional Lamb Meatballs from Kashmir. Authentic Recipe of Rista.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1000 grams (2.2 lb) Mutton Boneless
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger Powder
- 1 cup Meat Fat
- 1 cup Water 1st part
- 8 cups Water 2nd part
- 1 cup Moval Extract – Cocksomb
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 4 pcs Cardamom
- 3 tsp Fennel Seed Powder
- 2 pcs Bay Leaf
- 3 pcs Clove
- 3 pcs Cinnamon Stick
- 1 cup Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Wash the meat before mincing.
- Remove the white membrane from the meat.
- Pound the meat on a stone with a mallet and keep adding the meat fat while pounding.
- Add brown cardamom powder, ginger powder, salt.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Make small balls of about 3 inches (8 cm) in diameter.
- Heat oil in a vessel.
- Add salt, asafoetida, water (1st part), and red chili powder.
- Keep stirring the vessel until a red color appears.
- Add water (2nd part) and the rest of the spices.
- Let the water come to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add the meatballs prepared earlier.
- Boil for another hour.
- Add moval extract and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Rista
- Take the red meat from the lamb’s leg portion as it is soft.
- Moval is a dried flower only available in Kashmir. It’s used to add color to food.
What to serve with Rista?
Serve the Rista with steamed rice.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?