Things to know about Sambar Recipe
In the 17th century, a king named Shahuji I was ruling the Thanjavur Maratha Kingdom in South India. One day, his younger brother Serfoji I, visited him as the guest of the day. Meanwhile, in the kitchen, the chefs attempted to make a traditional Indian Maharashtrian dish called Amti, a sour curry. By experimenting and replacing black gram with pigeon pea and Kokum with tamarind paste, an exceptional preparation was born. Named after Serfoji I, this tasteful stew was called Sambar. The Indian Traditional Lentil-Based Vegetable Stew from Tamil Nadu – Sambar is an authentic South Indian dish having several vegetables, lentils, sambar powder, tamarind extracts, and spices. The vegetables and lentils make it a bundle of nutrition, whereas sambar powder enhances the aroma and taste. The combination of Sambar with rice or Idli (savory rice cakes) is a complete meal and is a staple food in the Southern part of India. Today it is extensively prevalent in Indian homes and restaurants.
Mouthwatering Indian Traditional Lentil-Based Vegetable Stew from Tamil Nadu. Authentic Recipe of Sambar.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 tbsp Fresh Tamarind
- ⅓ cup Water Hot, for the tamarind
- ½ cup Pigeon Pea Lentil – Pigeonpea – Red Gram – Gungo Peas
- 1½ cups Water For the pigeon pea
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder – Curcuma Powder
- 1½ cup Mixed Vegetable Chopped (French Bean, Potato, Pumpkin, Brinjal, etc.)
- 2 cups Water For the vegetables
- 2 pcs Drumstick – Moringa Scraped, chopped
- 1 pc Onion Medium, sliced
- 1 pc Tomato Diced
- 1½ tbsp Sambar Powder
- Salt As needed
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seed
- Start with soaking the tamarind in hot water for 30 minutes. Once it becomes soft, squeeze the tamarind in water and strain. Keep the tamarind paste on the side and discard the strained tamarind.
- Take the pigeon pea, rinse it properly, and put it in a pressure cooker with water and turmeric powder.
- Cook the lentils for 10-12 minutes on medium flame. Once it cooks well, let it cool, and then mash the lentils with a spoon.
- Meanwhile, take the chopped vegetables together in a pan. Also, add sliced onion and a diced tomato to it.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to the vegetables. Pour the water in it and stir nicely.
- Place the pan on the stove and cook the vegetables on medium heat. Make sure that you don't overcook the vegetables.
- Next, add the tamarind pulp and Sambar powder to the vegetables and mix well. Then add the mashed lentils and stir again.
- As soon as you see that the Sambar starts to boil, turn off the flame and keep the mixture aside.
- Now in another pan, add oil and mustard seeds.
- As soon as the seeds start to crackle, add dry chilies, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Fry everything till the curry leaves become crispy, and the red chilies change color. Then turn off the flame.
- Quickly add this tempering to the hot sambar mixture kept aside and cover the pan for 5 minutes.
- The Indian Traditional Lentil-Based Vegetable Stew from Tamil Nadu – Sambar is now ready. You can serve it with Idli or rice.
One of the vital ingredients of the keyword is the Sambar powder. Hence, make sure that you use fresh and good-quality Sambar powder.
While adding the tempering to the Sambar, it is essential to cover it immediately for 4-5 minutes. It will infuse the flavors of tempering into the Sambar.
Serve the Sambar hot with rice or Idli, along with coconut condiment.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.