Prepare mouthwatering Baingan Ka Bharta at home with this recipe. Click here for the traditional recipe of Mashed Eggplant Curry from Punjab.
Things to know about Baingan Ka Bharta Recipe
Talk about “Baingan Ka Bharta” to Indians to find out how much they cherish this delicacy. The Indian Traditional Mashed Eggplant Curry from Punjab – Baingan Ka Bharta, is a vegetarian dish originating from Punjab.
Its preparation involves grilling eggplant over charcoal, mincing it fine, and cooking it with tomatoes, onions, herbs, and spices. The grilling on charcoal gives a smoky flavor to the dish that makes it delicious.
Baingan Ka Bharta is very popular across the Indian subcontinent. There are a lot of local variations of the dish served with different types of bread. But traditionally, it is consumed with flatbread.
This recipe is easy to prepare, and you can make it at home in under 30 minutes. That’s why it is one of the most frequently prepared dishes in Indian households.
Delicious Indian Traditional Mashed Eggplant Curry from Punjab. Authentic Recipe of Baingan Ka Bharta.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 pc Eggplant – Aubergine Large
- ½ cup Onion Finely chopped
- 1 cup Tomato Finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Finely chopped
- 1 pc Green Chili
- ¼ tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander Chopped
- Salt to taste
Grilling the Eggplant
- Wash the eggplant with water and dry it with a napkin. Once it is dry, apply some oil over the eggplant and keep it on an open flame for roasting.
- Roast the eggplant till it cooks nicely. You can insert a knife into it to check whether it is tender.
- Take the eggplant off the flame and immerse it in water. The next step is to peel its skin off and mash it finely.
Preparing the Dish
- Heat some oil in a pan and add garlic and finely chopped onions. Sauté it nicely till the onions become translucent.
- Add green chilies and chopped tomatoes. Sauté it well till the tomatoes become mushy, and the oil starts separating from the mixture. Add red chili powder and mix.
- Next, add the mashed eggplant and salt according to the taste. Stir it for 4-5 minutes so that the eggplant and tomato mixtures combine well.
- Add some chopped fresh coriander leaves. Your Indian Traditional Mashed Eggplant Curry from Punjab – Baingan Ka Bharta is ready. Enjoy it hot with flatbread or rice.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Baingan Ka Bharta
Instead of using the stovetop, roast the eggplant in an oven. However, the smoky taste comes when you grill it on an open flame.
What to serve with Baingan Ka Bharta?
You can serve Baingan Ka Bharta with Indian flatbread or plain white rice.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?