The traditional Sabudana Khichadi from Maharashtra is very delicious to eat. It is one of the most preferred dishes to have while observing a fast.
Things to know about Sabudana Khichadi Recipe
On days when a Hindu individual in India practices a ‘fast,’ Sabudana Khichadi is the most beloved food. It is immensely famous across the country, and people of all ages love this dish.
The Indian Traditional Sago Porridge from Maharashtra – Sabudana Khichadi, holds religious importance. It is also widely available as a street food item. ‘Sabudana’ means tapioca pearls, and ‘Khichadi’ means porridge.
The preparation of Sabudana Khichadi involves soaking tapioca pearls and sautéing them with boiled potatoes and spices. The dash of fresh lemon juice provides a tangy taste to the dish.
It has a chewy texture. But it’s eaten along with crunchy roasted peanuts and potato chips. The delicious taste of Sabudana Khichadi makes it one of the most comforting foods to have in India.
There is no particular season to have it. A year in India sees so many holy days throughout the year. It remains the first choice of preparation on days of religious fasting.
Delicious Indian Traditional Sago Porridge from Maharashtra. Authentic Recipe of Sabudana Khichadi.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 cup Tapioca Pearl
- 2 units Potato Meedium
- ½ cup Roasted Peanut
- 10 units Curry Leaf
- 1 unit Green Chili Chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger Root Grated
- 1 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Peanut Oil or clarified butter
- ½ tsp Salt
- Take the tapioca pearls and wash them well. Soak them in water for 3 hours minimum. You can also soak them overnight.
- After soaking, drain the excess water from the tapioca and set it aside. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes, and peel and chop them once they cool down.
- Dry roast the peanuts in a pan till they get brown. Once they cool, grind them into a grainy powder in a blender.
- Add the peanut powder, salt, and sugar to the soaked tapioca pearls and mix well.
- Now, heat peanut oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to crackle, add green chilies and curry leaves. Stir it for a few seconds, and then add grated ginger.
- Sauté till the smell of ginger goes away, and add boiled potato. Mix again for a few minutes.
- Add the tapioca pearls now and combine everything well in the pan. Let the Sabudana Khichadi cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- When you see that the tapioca pearls start becoming translucent, it's time to turn off the flame.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander. Your Indian Traditional Sago Porridge from Maharashtra -Sabudana Khichadi is ready. Serve it hot and enjoy.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Sabudana Khichadi
Don’t overcook the Sabudana Khichadi. Otherwise, it will become lumpy.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?