Things to know about Upma Recipe
The Indian Traditional Semolina Porridge or Upma is a thick porridge famous across South India. Various seasonings are added to the dish based on personal preference. The word “Upma” is derived from the combination of the words “uppu” and “mavu”. “Uppu” means salt and “mavu” means flour. In Maharashtra, Upma is called “Saanja”. The dish is popularly prepared in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, and Gujarat. The porridge is served as breakfast. Upma can also be served as a light evening snack made with vermicelli and tomatoes, peas, and carrot. The variant is called Vermicelli Upma.
Delicious Indian Traditional Semolina Porridge from Tamil Nadu. Authentic Recipe of Upma.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 cup Semolina
- 1½ tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 8 pcs Cashew
- 1 tsp Yellow Gram
- 1 tsp Black Gram
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger Root Chopped
- 70 grams (2.47 oz) Red Onion
- 1 pc Green Chili Chopped
- 12 pcs Curry Leaf
- 3 tbsp Garden Peas – Sweet Peas – English Peas – Green Peas Frozen
- 3 cups Water
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Cilantro Chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Clarified Butter
- Roast semolina on a medium flame for 5 minutes. Remove it and transfer it to a bowl.
- Add oil and mustard seeds to the same pan.
- Add asafoetida, cashews, black gram and yellow gram, and ginger and sauté.
- Add onion, green chili, and curry leaves after a minute.
- Add green peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and add salt, chopped cilantro, and lemon juice.
- Let the water come to a boil and add the semolina.
- Cover the pan and set it to low flame.
- Add clarified butter. Turn off the heat.
- Remove and serve.
- Skip the clarified butter if you want to make the Upma vegan.
- You can refrigerate the Upma for a few days.
Roast the semolina well until it becomes crunchy. Add the semolina into the pan slowly.
Serve the Upma with coconut chutney which is a type of sauce.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.