Things to know about Amritsari Kulcha Recipe
In the reign of Mughal ruler Shah Jahan, his royal chef presented him with a new dish. The ruler loved it so much! The dish traveled across the Northern parts of India and became a staple. It was the delicious Amritsari Kulcha.
The Indian Traditional Stuffed Leavened Bread from Punjab – Amritsari Kulcha is a recipe from Punjabi Cuisine. It gets its name from Amritsar, a city in Punjab, famous for its delicious Kulcha and its varieties. It is prepared with all-purpose flour and filled with savory potato stuffing. The process of preparing traditional Amritsari Kulcha involves baking it in a clay oven. But you can easily make it at home on a pan. Amritsari Kulcha is a variation of the plain Kulcha or Naan. The only difference is that Amritsari kulcha may contain stuffing of potato, cottage cheese, or onions.
Delicious Indian Traditional Stuffed Leavened Bread from Punjab. Authentic Recipe of Amritsari Kulcha.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 1 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Oil
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Water Lukewarm, for kneading
- 2 pcs Potato Boiled, chopped
- 1 pc Green Chili
- ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ tsp Dry Mango Powder
- ¼ tsp Carom Seed – Ajwain
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger Root
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaf
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Black Sesame Seed
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander
- 2 tbsp Butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, yogurt, and oil.
- Mix everything well and add water. Start kneading the mixture to form a soft dough. Once it is ready, cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it sit in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, add the boiled potato, green chili, red chili powder, Garam Masala powder, ginger, mango powder, coriander, and carrom seeds. Combine everything well.
- Now, after 2 hours, take a ball size of the dough. With the help of a rolling pin, roll it into a disc of about 5 inches ( 13 cm) in diameter.
- Put a tablespoon of the potato stuffing at the center. Then start pleating the edges towards the center and gather the dough.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves and sesame seeds over the dough and roll it again into an oval shape.
- With the help of a brush, apply some water over the Kulcha and slowly flip it over.
- Place the flipped side on a hot pan and press the Kulcha gently.
- After a minute, flip the pan upside down and cook it over the flame directly. Let it be in this position till it becomes golden brown.
- Spread some butter over the Kulcha and place it on the plate.
- The Indian Traditional Stuffed Leavened Bread from Punjab – Amritsari Kulcha is ready. Enjoy it with Chole or spicy Indian Chickpea curry!
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.