Thakkali Sadam is a traditional Indian tomato rice dish tempered with spicy onion and tomato puree. The dish is a classic in Tamil Nadu cuisine.
Things to know about Thakkali Sadam Recipe
The Indian Traditional Tomato Rice or Thakkali Sadam is a rice dish tempered with spicy and tangy puree. The puree is made with tomatoes and onions. “Thakkali” means “Tomato,” and “Sadam” means rice in Tamil.
The dish originated in Tamil Nadu but is consumed throughout South India. The dish can be consumed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Thakkali Sadam is served with curd, yogurt, or Raita. Raita is a curd-based side dish comprising mixed veggies. Off-the-shelf powders are available in the market to use in this recipe.
Thakkali Sadam – Indian Traditional Tomato Rice from Tamil Nadu
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 1/2 cups Rice cooked
- 3 units Tomato chopped
- 1 unit Onion thinly sliced
- 1 unit Green Chili
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 units Spring Curry Leaf
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- 3/4 tsp Mustard
- 1 tbsp Bengal Gram (Split)
- 3/4 tbsp Black Gram skinned
- 2 clove Garlic chopped
- 10 units Cashew
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder – Curcuma Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seed Powder
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaf
- Cook the rice for 1 whistle and cool down.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard, cumin, cashews, black gram, and Bengal gram.
- When the pulses turn golden, add asafoetida, green chilies, and curry leaves. Sauté, and add onions.
- Add garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, Garam Masala, coriander powder, and fennel seeds powder.
- Add in the cooked rice and gently mix.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Thakkali Sadam
Instead of a pressure cooker, you can also cook the rice in a saucepan.
What to serve with Thakkali Sadam?
Serve the tomato rice with curd or Raita. Raita is a side dish made by mixing curd and veggies.
Variations of Thakkali Sadam
Any kind of rice can be used to make this recipe.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?