Things to know about Handvo Recipe
Gujarati cuisine is famous for its colorful recipes that you can have in breakfast or as a snack. One such recipe is the Handvo which is not only healthy but also mouthwatering.
The Indian Traditional Vegetable Cake from Gujarat – Handvo is a snack prepared with a mixture of lentils and vegetables. It mainly includes bottle gourd, but you can add more vegetables to make it healthier. You can add carrots, spinach, peas, or any other vegetable available at your home.
The preparation of Handvo involves mixing vegetables with lentil batter and baking the mixture so that it attains the texture of a cake. Though there is a Handvo cooker available to make this dish, you can also make it in a pressure cooker or bake it in an oven. When you crave something savory but don’t want it to be heavy, you can easily prepare Handvo at home. It is one of the most loved evening snacks in Gujarat. Due to its cake-like texture, even little children love to have it. You can have it as it is or with mint condiment.
Authentic Recipe of Handvo. Savory Indian Traditional Vegetable Cake from Gujarat.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
For Preparing the Batter
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Mung Bean – Green Gram – Maash – Moong Monggo – Munggo Spit and skinned
- 1 tbsp Pigeon Pea Lentil – Pigeonpea – Red Gram – Gungo Peas
- 1 tbsp Black Gram
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Water For soaking
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger Root Chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Chopped
- 2 tsp Chili Chopped
For Preparing the Tempering
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seed
- 5 units Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Spring Curry Leaf Chopped
- 1 cup Calabash – Bottle Gourd – Long Melon – New Guinea bean – Tasmania Bean Grated And tightly packed
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder – Curcuma Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander Powder
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander Leaf Chopped
- Salt As needed
- 5 tsp Vegetable Oil For greasing
- 1 tsp White Sesame Seed
Preparing the Tempering
- In a small grinding jar, add ginger, garlic, and green chilis. Also, add water and make a smooth paste.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Let the seeds crackle and add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and asafoetida.
- Fry the mixture for a few seconds and add the chili paste. Saute well till the raw aroma of garlic goes away, and then add the grated bottle gourd.
- Further, add turmeric powder and coriander powder. Mix everything well and turn off the flame. Also, add chopped coriander leaves to the mixture.
- Add the bottle gourd mixture into the lentil batter. Combine everything well and add salt as needed.
Making the Handvo
- Heat oil in a pan on low flame and spread evenly.
- Pour around two ladles full of Handvo batter, ensuring that the thickness is about 1.5 inches or 3.81 centimeters.
- Swirl the pan to spread the batter evenly, and sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top. Cover the pan with a lid and let the Handvo cook slowly on a low flame.
- When you see that the sides have turned golden, lift the handvo with a spatula and flip. Then cook the top of the Handvo.
- Let the Handvo cook evenly from all the sides. Once it turns golden and crispy, take it on a plate.
- Your Indian Traditional Vegetable Cake from Gujarat – Handvo is ready. Serve it hot with mint condiments and tea.
Serve Handvo with mint condiment. You can also have it as it is.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.