This Indonesian Beef Rendang stew is one of the most delicious foods. Try this authentic Rendang Sapi Khas Padang recipe curated by the locals.
Things to know about Rendang Sapi Khas Padang Recipe
Nominated as one of the best food in the world, the traditional Padang Beef Rendang is the dish you want to cook to impress your guest at your next dinner party. Rendang originated from Indonesia in a region called West Sumatra.
It is thought to have been around since the 16th century, cooked by local Minangkabau (the ethnic majority in west Sumatra) as provisions during their long merchant journey. Since then, Rendang has been one of the favorite dishes in the country, with restaurants called “Rumah Makan Padang” that can be found virtually everywhere in the country.
Rendang Sapi Khas Padang is well known for its long shelf life, often lasting weeks at a time while still tasting delicious. This is because of how the rendang is cooked, allowing all the water content inside the meat to evaporate and be replaced by the sauce made from different spices.
The dish is a form of beef stew with exotic spices, cooked and simmered for a long period in coconut milk to create a tender, flavorful, and delicious dish.
Mouthwatering Indonesian Traditional Beef stew from Padang. Authentic Recipe of Rendang Sapi Khas Padang.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1000 grams (2.2 lb) Beef Topside, diced
- 1500 ml (50.72 floz) Coconut Milk Thick
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 sticks Lemongrass – Cymbopogon – Barbed Wire Grass – Cochin Grass – Malabar Grass Bruised
- 10 cm Cinnamon Stick
- ½ pc Whole Nutmeg
- 1 pc Asam Kandis – Garcinia Xanthochymus – Gamboge – Sour Mangosteen – Tamal – Jharambi – Mada Luang – Dà Xie Teng Huáng Garcinia Globulosa
- 7 pcs Clove
- 9 pcs Cardamom
- 2 pcs Star Anise
- 1 pc Young Turmeric Leaf Knotted
- 5 pcs Bay Leaf
- 7 pcs Kaffir Lime Leaf
Blended (wet) Spices
- 9 cloves Garlic
- 20 cloves Shallot Onion
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Dried Red Chili Pepper
- 1 thumb Fresh Ginger Root Peeled
- 1 thumb Fresh Galangal – Kencur – Aromatic Ginger – Kaempferia Galanga – Sand Ginger – Cutcherry – Resurrection Lily Peeled
- 2 sticks Lemongrass – Cymbopogon – Barbed Wire Grass – Cochin Grass – Malabar Grass White part
- 1 stick Cinnamon Stick
- 4 pcs Candlenut Knotted
- 3 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Slice the beef (topside) into cubes 3-4 cm (1.5 – 2 Inches) each.
- Set aside and pat dry.
- Into a pan with, no oil, place the dry cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and toast it until fragrant.
- With a mortar and pestle, grind the dry ingredients into a powder.
- Place the diced meat into a bowl and rub the dry powdered spice into the meat, let it sit for 15 minutes.
Blended (wet) Spices
- Slice the garlic, shallot, ginger (remove the skin), and galangal (remove the skin) into thin slices.
- Into a food processor, combine the prepared spice ingredient (garlic, shallot, ginger, galangal, candlenut, chili pepper, lemongrass, and cinnamon) along with the coconut oil.
- Season with salt to taste.
Cooking the Rendang
- Into a large wok/deep pan, fry the blended spice with coconut oil, fry until very fragrant.
- Place the beef along with the rest of the dry spices into the wok/deep pan, and toss it so that the spices are spread evenly.
- Cook the meat until it starts to turn brown.
- Once the meat turns brown and fragrant, add the coconut milk and add water accordingly.
- Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat. Season with salt to taste.
- Let the dish simmer until the coconut milk is reduced and turned into a dark brown color and most of the water content is gone. Continuously stir the dish to not allow the bottom part to burn.
- The Beef Rendang is done and ready to be served!
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Rendang Sapi Khas Padang
- To allow maximum shelf life, cook the rendang until most, if not all, of the sauce has dried up. This will prevent bacteria from growing due to the low water content, allowing rendang to be stored for a long time.
- This dish can be cooked quickly using the pressure cooker, resulting in saucier rendang.
- Control the heat carefully during the cooking process. You want to keep it simmering but not burning at the bottom of the pan. Cutting the meat into equal sizes helps to prevent this.
- You can use other cuts of beef, preferably the ones with thick muscle fibers, so the end product is dry and tender.
- To enhance the flavor, leave the dry spices and meat to sit overnight.
What to serve with Rendang Sapi Khas Padang?
The Traditional Padang Beef Rendang is best served with warm white rice. This combination will leave you begging for more!
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?