This authentic Indonesian Chicken Curry recipe is locally known as Opor Ayam, commonly cooked and served during the Holy Month of Ramadan.
Things to know about Opor Ayam Recipe
The Traditional Indonesian Chicken Curry is locally known as the Opor Ayam. This flavorful curry is the dish you would want to serve your guest during a dinner party.
The chicken is slowly cooked in a mix of coconut milk and a blend of spices that will give you a taste you will never forget. This dish is a common staple during “Hari Raya Idul Fitri,” or the Eid-al Fitr for the Muslims in Indonesia, especially for those living in Java.
In the past, Opor Ayam is considered a peasant/commoner dish, because they often cooked it since they don’t have the money to buy beef as the royal families do. They began cooking chicken with coconut milk and whatever spices they could find at the time, and thus, the Opor Ayam is born.
Delicious Indonesian Traditional chicken curry from Java. Authentic Recipe of Opor Ayam
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 Chicken
- 5 pc Egg
- 500 ml (17.89 oz) Coconut Cream
- 1 L (2.11 lb) Coconut Milk
- 2 sticks Lemongrass – Cymbopogon – Barbed Wire Grass – Cochin Grass – Malabar Grass Bruised
- 3 sheets Bay Leaf
- 5 sheets Kaffir Lime Leaf
- 1 1/2 thumb Cinnamon Stick
- 5 pc Clove
- 1/2 pc Whole Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground White Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
Ingredient for Blended Spice
- 9 whole Shallot Onion
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 thumb Fresh Ginger Root
- 2 thumb Fresh Galangal – Kencur – Aromatic Ginger – Kaempferia Galanga – Sand Ginger – Cutcherry – Resurrection Lily
- 2 thumb Turmeric – Curcuma Longa
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seed Roasted
- 5 pc Candlenut Roasted
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Roasted
- Into a non-stick pan, not oiled, add the cumin, candlenut, and coriander and roast until fragrant.
- Into a food processor, add all the ingredients for the blended spice.
- Blend it to a smooth consistency.
- Cut the chicken into pieces, wash, and put aside.
- Into a large wok, add vegetable oil and fry the blended spice until fragrant.
- Next, add the dry spices like lemongrass, bay leaves, lime leaves, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg into the wok, this will produce a fragrant aroma.
- When fragrant, start adding the chicken into the wok, and cook until the meat starts to change color.
- As soon as the chicken changed color, add coconut milk (the thin one), and stir constantly to prevent the coconut milk from curdling. Bring to a boil and cook until the chicken becomes tender.
- Then, pour in the coconut cream, and bring the dish to a boil for the second time.
- Add the remaining ingredients, like sugar, salt, and tamarind juice. Taste and let the coconut milk/cream cook fully.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Opor Ayam
To make the dish even more flavorful, swap the chicken with an organic free-range chicken.
What to serve with Opor Ayam?
The Opor Ayam is often served with “Ketupat,” shrimp crackers, and crispy fried shallots.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?