This recipe of Cireng Bumbu Rujak is authentic and traditional, as native housewives and cooks from West Java locally curate it.
Things to know about Cireng Bumbu Rujak Recipe
This is a simple Indonesian street food that is just fried tapioca flour. This dish originated from the Sundanese people of West Java. This snack has existed since the early 80s and was sold by hawkers in the Priangan Region of West Java.
The name Cireng is an abbreviation of the word “aci goreng,” aci is a mixture of tapioca flour and water and is found in many of the Sundanese snacks & street foods, like cimol¸ cilor, and cilok, which all is an abbreviation of the word aci + the method of cooking/serving. In this case, where the aci is deep-fried, the name cireng (aci goreng; goreng = deep-fry) is used.
This tasty and savory snack can be served as it is or together with a dipping sauce. Many types of sauce exist, but none come close to the spicy rujak sauce, which gives a distinctive spicy-sour taste to the savory and crispy cireng, mainly due to the use of tamarind juice in the sauce. This dish is very tasty and enjoyable as a snack, not to mention very easy to make. Try it out!
Crispy and Savory Indonesian Traditional Fried Tapioca Fritters with Spicy Sauce from West Java. Authentic Recipe of Cireng Bumbu Rujak.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) Tapioca Flour
- 1 stick Spring Onion – Scallion – Green Onion
- 200 mL (6.76 floz) Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Chicken Stock Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper Powder
- 2 cloves Garlic
Rujak Spicy Sauce
- 4 pcs Red Bird’s Eye Chili Pepper
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) Palm Sugar – Palm Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Fermented Shrimp Paste – Terasi Bakar Variety
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 75 mL (2.54 floz) Water Warm
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Rujak Spicy Sauce
- Into a mortar and pestle, grind the chili peppers with the terasi, palm sugar, salt, and tamarind juice until smooth.
- Dilute with warm water and mix well.
- Place on a small sauce cup.
- Thinly slice the scallion diagonally.
- Mince the garlic into a paste, or you can use the back of your knife to create a smooth paste.
- In a bowl, mix the tapioca flour with the finely sliced scallion.
- Next, prepare a small saucepan, add water, salt, sugar, minced garlic, pepper, and stock powder.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the tapioca flour, while mixing with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated.
- Prepare a large wok and fill with enough oil for deep frying, bring it to heat.
- Now, dust your hand with the leftover tapioca starch and pinch a portion from the dough.
- Using your hand, roll the dough into a bowl and flatten it to a disk, repeat for all the dough.
- Deep fry until both sides are crispy and cooked. Strain and set aside.
- The cireng is ready to be served with the spicy rujak dipping sauce.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Cireng Bumbu Rujak
The water must be boiled before mixing it with the tapioca flour. Otherwise, the end product will be tough and chewy.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?