This authentic recipe of Tempe Mendoan Purwokerto is locally sourced from Purwokerto. It is sure to bring a whole new flavor you will never forget!
Things to know about Tempe Mendoan Purwokerto Recipe
The Indonesian Traditional Crispy Fried Tempeh is a dish that originated from Purwokerto in Central Java.
This fritter is a variation of the local “gorengan” that uses tempeh—a fermented soybean product—as its main ingredient. The term “mendoan” is derived from the local language, which translates into “cooking with hot oil in a short time.” Another translation of the word “mendo” is half cooked.
This dish is commonly sold by hawkers as street food and is usually served with a special dipping sauce called “sambal kecap” or sweet-and-spicy soy sauce dip. You will love to enjoy this dish as a snack while watching your favorite TV series.
Savory Indonesian Traditional Fried Tempeh from Purwokerto. Authentic Recipe of Tempe Mendoan Purwokerto.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 board Tempeh
- 150 grams (5.29 oz) All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) Rice Flour
- 2 sticks Scallion
- 2 pcs Kaffir Lime Leaf
- 250 ml (8.45 floz) Water
- Vegetable Oil As needed
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 cloves Shallot Onion
- 1 tsp Fresh Coriander
- 1 tsp White Peppercorn
- 2 tsp Salt
- 5 tbsp Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce – Kecap Manis
- 2 pcs Fresh Cayenne Chili Pepper
- 1 pc Red Chili Pepper
- 1 tbsp Key Lime Juice
- Into a heated non-stick pan, add the white peppercorn and the coriander and roast until fragrant.
- Prepare the blended ingredients and place it in a spice-grinder or food processor, blend until a smooth consistency.
Batter and Tempeh
- Slice the tempeh into thin slices, about 0.5-1 inches (1.5-2 centimeters).
- Into a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, rice flour, scallions (thinly sliced), and kaffir lime leaves (thinly sliced) and mix well.
- Add water little by little until you reach the desired consistency, which is similar to that of a watery sauce.
- Add the blended spices and mix well.
- Then, prepare a large deep-frying pan and fill it with enough oil to submerge the tempeh fully. Bring the oil to around 175C or 350F.
- Coat the tempeh slices evenly, and drop them into the hot oil. Fry it until dry and yellow, flip once, and strain. Do this for all the tempeh slices
- Slice the chili peppers and cayenne peppers.
- In a small bowl, add the peppers, sweet soy sauce, and key lime juice.
- The tempeh mendoan and sambal kecap is ready to be served.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Tempe Mendoan Purwokerto
The general time of frying the tempeh is until the batter turns yellow. This is to ensure the tempeh is still moist and tender inside. You can also fry the tempeh until golden brown, which will lead to dry and crispy tempeh.
What to serve with Tempe Mendoan Purwokerto?
The Tempeh Mendoan can be served on its own or with other dishes as a side dish, like Soto.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?