Things to know about Bubur Kacang Hijau Recipe
Mung Bean is a popular ingredient for many Indonesian Traditional dishes. One of the most popular amongst them is the Mung Bean Porridge, locally recognized as the bubur kacang hijau—burjo for short. It is thought to be first invented by the Maduranese people, living on Madura Island in the East Java Region. But it can be found throughout Indonesia. It is commonly found in places with cold weather, like Bandung (West Java) and Dieng (Central Java), and is served in a bowl as a sweet and warm soup to warm your body.
The term burjo is popularized throughout Indonesia when nomads from west java (bandung), and Sundanese people in general travel out and settle in various parts of Indonesia. Often opening a small food shack called Burjo which mainly sells—you guessed it, mung bean porridge. These nomads are the reason why this dessert is so popular in Indonesia.
This dish can be enjoyed warm or cold. It is high in protein and is a delicious treat overall. The main ingredients of this dish are mung beans, coconut milk sauce, and palm sugar. The mung beans are cooked until very tender and soft, hence the term porridge. In this variant of the mung bean porridge, the coconut milk is drizzled on top as a sauce, but in Madura’s style of Mung Bean porridge, the coconut milk is incorporated into the soup/porridge itself. Whether cold or hot, this is a desert you would not want to miss out on!
Delicious Indonesian Traditional Mung Bean Porridge. Authentic Recipe of Bubur Kacang Hijau.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 150 grams (5.29 oz) Mung Bean – Green Gram – Maash – Moong Monggo – Munggo
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Indonesian Palm Sugar – Gula Jawa – Gula Merah – Red Sugar – Gula Aren
- 100 mL (3.38 floz) Water Room temperature
- 200 mL (6.76 floz) Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups Water Warm
- 2 pcs Pandan Leaf – Screwpine – Pandanus Leaf
- 1 thumb Fresh Ginger Root
Coconut Milk Sauce
- 100 mL (3.38 floz) Coconut Cream
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Wash the mung beans in a bowl, remove all the dirt.
- Soak the mung beans in cold water for 6 hours to soften the beans.
- After 6 hours, strain the water and set the beans aside.
- Into a small saucepan, add the coconut cream and the salt, and bring to a boil.
- Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
Cooking the Porridge
- Into a pot, add the water (room temperature), add the palm sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves. Strain the sugar syrup and set it aside.
- Into a larger pot, add the warm water.
- Tie the pandan leaves into a knot and add them into the pot.
- Peel the ginger, bruise it with the back of your knife and add it to the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the soaked mung beans.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the beans become soft and start to bloom.
- Add the sugar syrup, regular sugar, salt, and coconut milk into the pot, and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook until it starts to thicken.
- Turn off the heat, serve in a bowl and top with the coconut sauce.
- The dish is ready to be served.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?