Things to know about Lapis Surabaya Recipe
The Dutch colonization of Indonesia for 350 years left behind a lot of cultural impacts on all aspects of the Indonesian culture, including culinary. This layered cake is based on the European (in this case, Dutch) traditional multi-layered spit cake, but the difference lies in the use of Indonesian spices like cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and other spices. There are many variants of the Indonesian layer cake, including the lapis legit and the lapis Surabaya.
The lapis Surabaya is a much simpler approach to the layer cake, consisting of only three-layer, instead of the usual 18. Typically, lapis Surabaya is composed of a middle chocolate layer and two yellow layers on the top and the bottom. The yellow color is due to the number of egg yolks used in the cake, in lapis legit, the number can be as high as 40 egg yolks. This dish is commonly served to celebrate Imlek (lunar new year) by the Chinese-Indonesian. Due to the high effort of making the cake, the price of the cake is usually quite expensive, with the homemade lapis legit starting at IDR 350,000 or around 20$ for a 20 x 20 cm (8×8 inch) square pan. You would not want to miss out on this dish!
Delicious Indonesian Traditional Three Layer Cake from Surabaya. Authentic Recipe of Lapis Surabaya.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 8 pcs Egg Yolk
- 1 pc Egg
- 120 grams (4.23 oz) White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 45 grams (1.59 oz) All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 3 tsps Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Whole Milk Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Powder
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Sweet Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) Butter
- 75 grams (2.65 oz) Margarine
- 1/2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Strawberry Jam
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (roughly 390 F).
- Prepare a 24 x 24 cm (10 x 10 inch) baking tray, separate into 3 equal compartment. Brush with margarine and line with a baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, sweet condensed milk, and vegetable oil until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, milk powder, and vanilla powder). Mix well.
- Combine eggs and sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is foamy.
- Add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Add the mayonnaise into the bowl and slowly whisk for about 1-2minutes.
- Melt the butter and margarine in a pan. Add the melted butter into the bowl. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder and water.
- Divide the batter into three equal amounts. Add the cocoa mixture to one of the batters. Mix well until the color is even.
- Into the partitioned baking tray, pour the batter. Tap the tray on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, take out and let it cool.
- Take the cake out from the tray. Between the layers, put a generous amount of strawberry jam.
- Slice the cake and it is ready to be served.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.