Things to know about Urap Sayur Recipe
The Indonesian Traditional Vegetable Salad with Spicy Grated Coconut Topping, locally known as Urap or Urap Sayur, is a form of salad that is commonly eaten with rice dishes like Nasi Kuning. The unique aspect of Urap lies in the usage of grated coconut that is seasoned with various spices like chili pepper, lime leaves, garlic, etc. This produced a taste that is well complemented by the freshness of the boiled vegetables.
In Java, Urap is a staple side dish of the Tumpeng tradition. Philosophically, Urap symbolizes the harmony between the Javanese people. The name Urap is very similar in pronunciation to the Javanese language for “Living/Life”, Urip. Thus, it is commonly associated with living a great life and giving thanks to God for the blessings of life. This savory, sweet, and fresh salad is the side dish you want on your next Tumpeng project!
Refreshing Indonesian Traditional Vegetable Salad with Spicy Grated Coconut Topping from Java. Authentic Recipe of Urap Sayur.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 150 grams (5.29 oz) Long Bean – Yardlong Bean – Asparagus Bean – Pea Bean – Long-Podded Cowpea – Chinese Long Bean – Snake Bean – Bodi – Bora
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) Spinach
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Mung Bean Sprout
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) Mustard Greens
- ½ head Cabbage
- 2 pcs Carrot Medium
- 300 grams (10.58 oz) Grated Coconut Fresh
- 4 pcs Red Chili Pepper
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ½ Thumb Fresh Galangal – Kencur – Aromatic Ginger – Kaempferia Galanga – Sand Ginger – Cutcherry – Resurrection Lily 3cm (1 inch)
- 5 pcs Kaffir Lime Leaf
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Shrimp Paste – Terasi Variety – Indonesian Fermented Shrimp Paste
Preparing the Coconut Topping
- Into a food processor, add the chili, garlic, aromatic ginger, thinly sliced kaffir lime leaves, salt, sugar, and shrimp paste. Blend until smooth and no lumps are visible.
- To a mixing bowl, add the blended spices along with the coconut and stir until well incorporated.
- Prepare a steamer by adding water to the pot and letting it boil for a few minutes. Steam the coconut and spice mixture for 25minutes and set aside.
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly.
- Cut the long beans into 3 cm long pieces (1inch).
- Peel the carrots and cut them into matchsticks about 3 cm long, 1 cm wide, and 1 cm thick (1-inch x 0.5-inch x 0.5-inch).
- Chop the mustard greens slightly and remove the stem.
- Chop the spinach into smaller sized pieces.
- Into a large pot, add water, and bring it to a boil.
- Boil each vegetable for 3-5 minutes each or until tender, be careful not to overcook them, strain, and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, combine all the boiled vegetables and mix well with the coconut topping until evenly distributed.
- The salad is ready to be served.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?