Things to know about Sayur Lodeh Recipe
Sayur Lodeh or Jangan Lodeh in the local Javanese language is a vegetable soup originating from Java Island, especially from the Central Region of Java. This dish is a modification of the Sayur Asem from West Java, where the Central Javanese disregarded the use of Tamarind in the dish and opted for coconut milk instead. The vegetable used is very similar to their West Javanese counterpart, chayote, long beans, and corn.
During the year 1931, when the black plague infested the region of Yogyakarta for the last two decades, the Sultan of Yogyakarta ordered his people to stay at home and cook sayur lodeh for 49 days. This dish is commonly cooked during the crisis that often ensued in the region of Central Java due to the activity of Mount Merapi since the early 10th century. There are several variants of Sayur Lodeh in Central Java, the white-colored broth and the yellowish-red color of the broth from the use of different spices. Either way, you would not want to miss out on trying this dish!
Delicious Indonesian Traditional Vegetable Soup with Coconut Milk Broth from Java. Authentic Recipe of Sayur Lodeh.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 cob Sweet Corn – Sugar Corn – Pole Corn
- 5 pcs Long Bean – Yardlong Bean – Asparagus Bean – Pea Bean – Long-Podded Cowpea – Chinese Long Bean – Snake Bean – Bodi – Bora Green Long Beans
- 1 pc Chayote – Mirliton – Güisquil – Pimpinela – Choko – Labu Siam – Chow Chow Large
- 1 pc Carrot Large
- 1 pc Eggplant – Aubergine
- 10 pcs Melinjo Leaf – Gnetum Gnemon Leaf – Gnetum Leaf – Joint Fir Leaf – Two Leaf – Belinjo Leaf – Bago Leaf Young
- 10 pcs Melinjo Fruit – Gnetum Gnemon Fruit – Gnetum Fruit Fruit – Joint Fir Fruit – Two Leaf – Belinjo Fruit – Bago Fruit
- 1 pc Red Large Chili Pepper
- 1 pc Green Large Chili Pepper
- 750 mL (25.36 floz) Coconut Milk
- 2 pc Bay Leaf
- Salt To taste
- White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar To taste
- 8 cloves Shallot Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 5 pcs Candlenut
- 1/4 tsp Ground Coriander Powder
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly and prep them for cutting.
- Dice the chayote into 1 inch (2.5 cm) chunks.
- Slice the green beans into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Cut the corn cob into 8 equal-sized pieces.
- Slice the carrot and eggplant diagonally into coin-shaped pieces.
- Slice the chili peppers diagonally in a thin cut around half an inch thick.
- Into a food processor, add the garlic, shallot, candlenut, and coriander. Blend into a smooth paste.
- Into a stockpot, pour the coconut milk, bring it to heat.
- Add the blended spices into the pot. Mix well.
- Next, add the carrots, eggplants, corn, chayote, and melinjo first as they take longer to cook. Cook until soft and halfway done.
- Once the pot is boiling, add the green beans, melinjo leaves, chili peppers, and bay leaves. Cook until the pot is back to boiling.
- Season to taste with salt and sugar.
- Turn off the heat and serve in a serving bowl.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?