Zereshk Polo is a classic Persian dish made of soft and fluffy rice and locally available barberries. Barberries give a sweet, tangy flavor to it.
Things to know about Zereshk Polo Recipe
Zereshk is barberries locally available in different varities. These dark but tangy berries do not taste too sweet, so the rice is tangy but not sweet. The generous use of saffron creates an unbeatable aroma with a touch of classic Persian recipes.
The use of nuts and almonds complements the rice. This polow is common from wedding feasts to get-togethers to ‘Nazar’; food is given when a vow is fulfilled, and favorite food to serve guests because it can be prepared in big batches. This rich and delicious recipe is a must-have in Iranian cuisine.
Delicious Iranian Traditional Barberries Rice. Authentic Recipe of Zereshk Polo.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 2½ cup Basmati Rice
- 6 cups Water
- ¼ tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg Powder
- 1 pod Cardamom Crushed
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp Rose Petal Crushed
- 1 pc Onion Large. diced
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 pinch Saffron
- ½ cup Almond Sliced
- ½ cup Pistachio Sliced
- ⅓ cup Barberry
- 2 tbsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- Pick and wash barberries and remove any stems.
- Take a medium size pan and add ghee.
- Add barberries and saffron and sauté over low heat.
- Add sugar and cook slowly.
- Set aside when barberries plump up.
- Wash and drain the rice thoroughly.
- Add water in a large pot, bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add salt and rice.
- Boil it while slowly stirring using a slotted spoon.
- Check after 7-10 minutes. Rice should be cooked at the edges but firm at the center.
- Drain the water with the help of a strainer.
- Run cold water over the rice.
- Now add all spices in the rice.
- Put rice in a pot, cover the pot with a kitchen towel, and steam for 45 minutes or until a goldish brown color appears with a strong aroma of spice and saffron.
- Take a large serving platter and layer 1/3 of the rice at the base.
- Top with 1/3 of barberries mixture.
- Layer remaining in the same way.
- Finish up with fried onion, almond and pistachios on top.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Zereshk Polo
- Barberries can burn easily, so always cook on low heat. Different types of basmati rice take different times to cook. It’s better to keep checking firmness while boiling.
- You can make two to three parts of rice when mixing boiled rice with rice spice. Each is mixed with different quantities of rice spice to get a gradient of color.
- You can use a market-bought Persian rice spices mix if you don’t have each ingredient separately.
- Barberries can be substituted with unsweetened dried cranberries.
What to serve with Zereshk Polo?
Mostly served with chicken curry sauce or grilled chicken, chicken soup, barley soup called soup jo, or crushed salad.
Variations of Zereshk Polo
Zereshk polo ba morgh; is called when this dish is served with a chicken curry sauce or grilled chicken.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?