Traditional Iranian flatbread Sheermal is made with milk and flavored with saffron.
Things to know about Sheermal Recipe
Iranian sheermal has a history originating from 550 BC. It’s mildly flavored bread infused with saffron. ‘Sheer’ in Persian means ‘Milk,’ and ‘Mal’ originated from Malidan meaning ‘milk,’ literally meaning bread rubbed with milk.
Throughout history, it was populated in India by the Mughals. Known for its aroma and golden brown color, Sheermal is part of authentic Persian cuisine.
Aromatic Iranian Traditional Flatbread from Senan. Authentic Recipe of Sheermal.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 cup Water Lukewarm
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast
- 2 tsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 3 pcs Saffron
- 2 tbsp Milk Lukewarm
- 1 pc Egg Medium
- 2½ cups All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Ghee Melted
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Rose Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Add Luke warm water in a small bowl.
- Mix sugar and yeast in the bowl and set aside.
- Wait until the mixture turns frothy.
- Mix saffron strands with warm milk. Leave it for a while to get golden yellow shade
- In a bowl, beat eggs.
- Add flour, salt, and yeast to the eggs, and mix them well to make a dough.
- Keep adding the ghee as if you are rubbing it into the dough while kneading.
- The mixture will turn into fine crumbs.
- Now start adding milk little by little.
- Add rose water.
- Use your fingers to shape the mixture into a ball.
- Keep this dough in an oiled bowl for 2 hours, cover it with a damp cloth.
- Once the dough doubled its size, knead it again and place it back into the bowl.
- Oil the surface with a brush.
- Let it rest again for about 20 minutes.
- Set the oven to pre-heat at 180 ºC / 356 ºF.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and place them on a flat surface.
- Flatten each dough with the help of your fingers.
- Place the dough on a baking tray greased with oil.
- You can make different patterns on the dough using a fork or hands.
- Brush each dough with saffron-flavored milk.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush the surface with melted butter or ghee.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Sheermal
- Rose water can be replaced with pine essence.
- To get an authentic look, do not use a rolling pin.
- It is advised to leave bread covered for at least 10 minutes after removing it from the oven to further enhance the flavor.
- Give enough time for to dough to rise to get the crispy mild flavor.
What to serve with Sheermal?
Serve with Mutton or Chicken Curry or Tea.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?