Things to know about Javaher Polow / Morasa Polo Recipe
This beautiful Persian dish looks stunning and the name Javaher refers to jewels. Each ingredient is supposed to be a jewel, for example; pistachios are emeralds, barberries are rubies, almonds make pearls, while oranges and carrots make gold. Not only the look, but this dish also tastes delicious. It’s part of the wedding feasts, celebratory parties, and Eid days. The combination of color, texture, aroma, and rich ingredients give it a royal status. The balance of flavors is notable, it infuses tart barberries, sweet raisins, sweetened carrots, and a sour bitter flavor of the orange peels.
Mouthwatering Iranian Traditional Jeweled Rice with Dry Fruits. Authentic Recipe of Javaher Polow/Morasa Polo.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 2½ cup Basmati Rice
- 1 tbsp Water Warm, for the rice
- 1 pc Onion Large, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Pistachio Slivered, sliced
- ½ cup Almond Slivered, sliced
- ½ cup Walnut Diced
- 1 cup Barberry
- ½ cup Raisin Mix of black and gold
- 2 tbsp Butter or oil, for the barberry and raisin
- ½ cup Carrot Julienne
- 2 cups Orange Peel Julienne
- ½ cup White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Water For the carrots and zest
- ½ tsp Saffron Powder
- 4 tbsp Water Warm, for saffron
- ⅓ tsp Ground Cardamom Powder
- ⅓ tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Rose Petal Crushed
- ⅓ tsp Turmeric Powder – Curcuma Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Oil For layering
- 2 tbsp Butter For layering
- Mix the saffron powder with warm water and set aside.
- Peel orange skin with a peeler; make sure to remove the white part.
- Slice it into julienne. And soak in water for 10 minutes. Then boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the water. Add more water and repeat the process. Drain and set aside.
- If you have dried peels, soak them a night before cooking the recipe, drain twice, and add fresh water.
- Soak rice in cool water with salt after washing for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Fill half of the pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and cook for 7-10 minutes or until rice grain is soft at the ends but still hard in the center.
- Drain with a colander and run cool water over it.
Barberries and Raisins
- Wash and pick barberries and raisins separately.
- Take a wide pan and add butter or oil.
- Sauté onion in it to a golden brown, then lower the heat and add turmeric, barberries, and raisins.
- Cook for 5 minutes over medium to low heat.
- The barriers will plump up.
Carrots and Zest
- In a pan, add water and sugar. Boil over medium heat.
- When the sugar mixture is thick, add orange peel and carrots.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix orange peels, carrots, barberries, and raisins with cardamom and cumin powder and rose petals.
- Take a large pot and add oil.
- Start layering the rice in a pot. With nuts and raisins mixture on top.
- Make a pyramid shape.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add diluted saffron and butter.
- Cover the pot with a kitchen towel and cook for 45 minutes over very low heat.
- Don’t open the lid until serving.
Shirin Polow is a similar dish, it doesn’t have raisins in it.
You can get dried orange peels from the market, if you are using dried ones, make sure to soak a night before cooking. It is important to drain water from the peels 2 to 3 times to remove bitterness.
It is usually served with chicken stew called Khorsh e Morgh. Can be served with meatballs, yogurt, or mixed salad.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.