Things to know about Tahchin Recipe
Tahchin means ‘to make layers’. This is a whole different type of traditional Iranian polo. A thick mixture of rice is set into a deep pot and once it is cooked, the pot is inverted into a serving platter to obtain rice in the form of a cake. It can be made with layers of chicken, lamb, or vegetables, or a simple tahchin can be served as a side dish with stews or kebabs. When it is cut through, nuts ooze out of the steaming rice. It is a beautiful display of local cuisine. It may look like a complex recipe but actually, it’s pretty easy to cook. Many Iranians prepare tahchin at family gatherings and on the Persian new year, a nine-day long festival called ‘Nowroz’.
Mouthwatering Iranian Traditional Rice Cake. Authentic Recipe of Tahchin.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 300 grams (10.58 oz) Chicken Legs
- 250 ml (8.45 floz) Water For the chicken
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 150 grams (5.29 oz) Strained Yogurt
- 1 pc Egg
- 1 pc Onion Large, peeled, cut into half
- 2 tbsp Barberry
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 1 pinch Saffron Powder
- 4 tbsp Water Warm, for the saffron
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pistachio Chopped
- 1 tsp Almond Slivered, chopped
- Mix the saffron powder with warm water and set aside.
- Soak rice in cool water with salt after washing for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Fill half of the pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and cook for 7-10 minutes or until rice grain is soft at the ends but still hard in the center.
- Drain with a colander and run cool water over it.
- Add oil to a pan to fry chicken legs.
- Fry both sides and set them aside.
- Boil water in a pot. Add the chicken, black pepper, half of the saffron water, onion, and salt.
- Let it simmer over low heat for an hour.
- Then remove the chicken and onion from the broth and set them aside.
- The broth will be used as side dish for rice.
- When chicken is cooled down, separate meat from the bones and set them aside.
Mixing Ingredient for Tahchin
- Take a bowl and mix egg, saffron, salt, and yogurt in it.
- Then mix rice into it and stir well.
- Take a deep, medium diameter pan and melt the butter. Coat the sides of the pan with it.
- Layer rice at the bottom, then put chicken pieces on it.
- Then cover with another layer of rice.
- Make sure to hide the chicken by keeping the pieces away from the sides.
- Then add barberries and nuts on top.
- Sprinkle boiled water on it. And poke 4- 5 holes all the way to the bottom.
- Put the pot on medium heat.
- When steam starts to arise, lower the heat.
- Cover with a lid and kitchen towel and cook for another hour.
- Remove the lid from the pot and fix a serving platter on it. Then carefully flip the pot onto the platter.
- Remove the pot slowly to get perfect rice cake shape.
- Garnish with barberries and nuts.
- This recipe can be made without chicken.
- Saffron is also optional.
A layer of lamb or beef meat can be added in tahchin. A vegetarian tahchin can be made with vegetable or fruit stuffing instead of chicken.
Make sure to cook rice according to its type. Some varieties cook faster than others.
Serve it with chicken broth, yogurt, or different stews.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.