Onigiri is a simple and healthy rice ball. Onigiri balls are wrapped in nori seaweed and stuffed with tasty meat and vegetable fillings.
Things to know about Onigiri Recipe
Japanese Traditional Rice Balls – Onigiri is a hearty dish known as Omusubi, which has been a favorite food for Japanese families during picnic time since the 11th century. The dish was mentioned by Lady Murasaki, the famous author of the book “The Tale of Genji.”
However, the origin of this traditional Japanese dish was way back in the Nara period, before the chopstick’s introduction. It is typically wrapped in Nori seaweed that started during the 16th century.
There are different ways to enjoy diverse stuffing, like salmon, grilled or pickled mushrooms, the meat of your choice, and vegetables. It is a commonly prepared meal for outside activities like a picnic. Also, it is widely available in convenience stores throughout Japan.
Appetizing Japanese Traditional Rice Balls. Authentic Recipe of Onigiri.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1½ cup Rice Uncooked
- 2 sheets Nori Seaweed
- 1 pc Plum Umeboshi in Japanese pickled and seeded
Bonito Flakes Filling
- 2 tbsp Dry Tuna Flake – Katsuobushi – Okaka – Dry Bonito Flake
- ½ tsp Soy Sauce
- 95 grams (3.35 oz) Canned Tuna
- 1½ tbsp Japanese Mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 pc Salmon
- 1 tsp Salt
- Prepare and measure all ingredients properly.
- Prepare the rice to cook in a rice cooker or instant pot. You may also use donabe if available.
- In a large bowl, let the rice soak for about 30 minutes.
- Put the rice into a sieve and drain it for 15 minutes.
- Cook it using your rice cooker according to the instruction.
- Remove the lid and let the steam come out of the rice for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer it to a plate or baking sheet with parchment paper at the bottom. Let it cool down.
Salted Salmon Filling
- Rub some salt on the fish flesh and bake it for 10 to 20 minutes at 425ºF or 218ºC. Make sure that it is dry and flaky.
- Flake the cooked salmon and set it aside for later.
Pickled Plum Filling
- Put the pickled plum on a plastic wrap, fold it in half and press it to deseed. Take out the seed and get the flesh.
Dried Bonito Filling
- In a small bowl, put the bonito flakes and add the soy sauce and mix well.
- Drain the canned tuna and transferred it into a small bowl.
- Add the Japanese mayonnaise and soy sauce and mix well.
- Cut a sheet of nori into three pieces.
- Wet both hands with clean water to prevent the rice from sticking to your hands.
- Rub a little salt on your hands.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of rice, put it on top of plastic wrap, and make a well at the center.
- Place one kind of filling at the center of the rice and mold to cover the filling.
- Press the rice and form a triangle shape using your index, middle, and thumb finger.
- Make sure not to press it too tight.
- Wrap the rice with a nori sheet and put a small portion of the filling on top of it to distinguish each one.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Onigiri
You may choose to purchase a nori sheet precut to the size of onigiri.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?