Things to know about Podvarak Recipe
If Serbians like something, it is probably something pickled with cooked meat. Podvarak is exactly that. This traditional dish takes sauerkraut and meat and takes them to another level. Podvarak is originally from Serbia and was associated with poor people. This dish is quite easy and cheap to make. It is traditionally made in the winter, especially around Christmas and New Year’s Eve. You can make the fasting version of it by taking out the meat, and cooking only the sauerkraut (or regular cabbage if you don’t have sauerkraut) It is usually eaten on Christmas Eve because Orthodox Christians are fasting that day.
Delicious Serbian Traditional Baked Sauerkraut. Authentic Recipe of Podvarak.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 5 tbsp Pork Fat or oil
- 2 pcs Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic Medium
- 1500 grams (3.31 lb) Sauerkraut – Pickled Cabbage Leaf or cabbage
- 200 grams (7.05 oz) Smoked Bacon
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Pork Steak
- 2 tsp Smoked Sweet Paprika Powder
- 3 pcs Bay Leaf
- Salt To taste
- Pepper Powder To taste
- 100 ml Water
- Mince the onions and sauté them in a pot.
- Cut the sauerkraut into small pieces and add them to the onions.
- Add water so it doesn’t burn.
- Cut the garlic and add it to sauerkraut.
- Cook the sauerkraut for about an hour while adding a little water and fat from time to time.
- When the sauerkraut is fried add the seasonings.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and fry it.
- After the bacon is fried, fry the steak in the oil from the bacon on both sides (Make it medium to well done).
- In a casserole dish or the pot you used for the sauerkraut (if it is suitable for the oven) put your sauerkraut combined with bacon and put the steak on top.
- Bake it at 220°C/428°Ffor 45 minutes.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.