Things to know about Gibanica Recipe
Gibanica is a cheese pie you haven’t experienced before. It’s popular all over Serbia and the Balkans. One Slovenian priest in 1828 described it as “a must in Serbian weddings but it is also served to workers after a long day”. Traditional Serbian recipes are a combination of Turkish and Austrian influences and this dish is no different. The word Gibanica originated from the word “gibati” which means to roll or fold. It can be served with milk or yogurt but it doesn’t need to be tasteful. Serbians eat it for every occasion and it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It can be made with different types of cheese but cow’s milk cheese is the best. Fun Fact: largest gibanica ever was made in Mionica, Serbia in 2007 and it weighed over 1000kg.
Tasteful Serbian Traditional Cheese Pie. Authentic Recipe of Gibanica.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Phyllo Dough
- 4 pcs Egg Large
- 150 ml (5.07 floz) Extra Virgin Olive Oil or sunflower oil
- 200 ml (6.76 floz) Yogurt
- 100 ml (3.38 floz) Water
- 5 grams (0.18 oz) Salt
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Sirene Cheese
- In a bowl, add eggs and salt and mix well.
- Then add oil (leave a little so you can oil the casserole dish in which you will be making the dish), then add yogurt and water.
- Break the cheese into smaller pieces using your hands and add it to the bowl.
- Mix everything together.
- Oil the dish and put 4 phyllo dough sheets on the bottom.
- Layer your cheese mixture and repeat the process until there is no more dough.
- After you put the last dough sheet, take a fork and poke holes before adding the last layer of your cheese mixture.
- Pre-heat the oven on 200°C/390°F.
- Bake it for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take the pie out and let it cool down.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?