Things to know about Qabuli Polow/Kabuli Polow Recipe
Qabuli Polow is the national dish of Afghanistan. People think the world comes from Kabul; the capital city of Afghanistan. But actually, it comes from the Dari word Qabil meaning ‘capable’. Pointing out that this dish can be made by only the most capable cook. Now, no wedding feast, party, or celebration is complete without this dish. Its beautiful brown color came from onions, the addition of carrots and raisins make it a visual treat too. Mildly sweetened carrots and raisins also add flavor and texture to this delicious traditional dish. You can say that Qabuli Polow is the crown of Afghan cuisine.
Mouthwatering Traditional Afghan Rice with Beef. Authentic Recipe of Qabuli Polow/Kabuli Polow.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 3 cups Basmati Rice or long grain rice, washed
- 12 cups Water For the rice
- 2 tsp Salt For the rice
- 800 grams (1.76 lb) Beef About 3-inch (7 cm) pieces
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1½ cups Water For the broth
- 1 pc Onion Large, chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 2 tbsp Salt For the broth
- 3 tbsp White Sugar – Regular Sugar – Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin Powder
- 1½ tsp Ground Cardamom Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) Raisin
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) Carrot
- ½ cup Water For the carrots and raisins
- 2 tbsp Oil For the carrots and raisins
- ½ cup Almond
- ½ cup Pistachio
- Take a large frying pan and heat oil in it.
- Add onion and cook at medium heat until deep brown but not burnt.
- Then Remove the onion from the pan.
- Add the beef pieces, salt, and garlic into the same pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes while stirring to evenly cook the meat.
- Add the water. Cook on low heat for about 1 ½ hours.
- Keep skimming the surface of froth.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from the heat.
- Separate broth into a bowl.
- Grind brown onion and add it to the broth. This will give a distinct brown color to the rice.
Carrot and Raisin
- While the beef is cooking cut carrots into long match sticks.
- Take a large frying pan, add water and bring it to a boil.
- Add carrots and cook for 5-7minutes. Or until carrots are tender.
- Drain water from the pan and add oil.
- Heat it and add sugar, raisins, almonds, and pistachios.
- Stir thoroughly and cook for 3 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Take a large pot and boil water.
- Add rice and salt.
- Cook until rice is soft but a little crunch is left. It will take about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Then strain the rice with a colander.
- Add cumin, cardamom, and black pepper to the broth and boil it for a few minutes.
- Then add rice to the broth.
- Arrange the beef pieces on top, and sprinkle carrots and nuts mixture.
- Cover the lid with a kitchen towel.
- Cook over high heat for 1 minute, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve on a platter with lots of carrots on top.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.