How to make a traditional British Welsh Rarebit, this recipe is an upgraded version of cheese on toast! Made with a beer, mustard & cheese sauce.
A Few words about Welsh Rarebit Recipe
A traditional British Welsh Rarebit recipe, an upgraded version of cheese on toast, is perhaps one of the most popular Welsh dishes. The tasty dish has even made its mark on Welsh culture by having a national Welsh Rarebit Day on September 3rd.
The traditional British Welsh Rarebit recipe is made up of thick slices of toasted buttered bread layered with a cheesy sauce flavored with mustard and beer! It’s mouthwatering, moreish, and a perfect indulgent brunch dish made in just 15 minutes.
The key to this simple dish is using good quality ingredients. The bread must be thick. Around 2cm (0.8 inches) is perfect as it allows the cheese on toast to absorb without overwhelming it. The cheese should be a good quality cheddar, and the beer needs to be strong. An ale or stout is commonly used too. Enjoy this tasty Traditional Welsh Rarebit!
Traditional British Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe from Wales. Authentic Welsh Rarebit Recipe.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 4 slices (4 slices) Wholegrain Bread Thick
- 30 Gram (1.06 oz) Butter Plus, extra for spreading
- 50 Gram (1.76 oz) All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 150 ml (5.29 oz) Strong Beer
- 200 Gram (7.05 oz) Mature Cheddar
- 1 Tbsp (1 Tbsp) English Mustard
- 2 Tbsp (2 Tbsp) Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp (1 Tsp) Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the grill until it is nice and hot.
- Place the sliced bread under the grill until it is lightly toasted.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter then stir in the flour. Cook for a minute or so stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in the beer, until you have a smooth, thick sauce.
- Add the grated cheese whilst continuously stirring. The sauce will thicken as the cheese fully melts. Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, and black pepper and remove from the heat.
- Once the bread is lightly toasted, spread a layer of butter onto each slice, then equally divide the cheesy sauce onto each slice, covering the crusts.
- Transfer the slices onto a baking tray and play under the grill for 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Remove the slices from the grill and cut in half to serve and enjoy!
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Welsh Rarebit
It is important to stir continuously for the sauce to avoid it catching.
What to serve with Welsh Rarebit?
A Tomato Chutney or Chilli Jam. Top with bacon, leeks, or serve with a green salad.
Variations of Welsh Rarebit
- For non-alcoholic alternatives, milk can be used instead of beer. For mustard, Dijon or Wholegrain can be used instead of English Mustard.
- For vegetarians, be sure to use a vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?