Warm up with a traditional Greek Beef Soup, Kreatosoupa, on a winter day. The best soup to enjoy with its easy, filling, and tasty combination.
Things to know about Kreatosoupa Recipe
Warm up with a good old Kreatosoupa on a cold winter day. The best soup for the whole family to enjoy with its easy, filling, and tasty combination. This traditional Greek beef soup will surely lift you out of bed with its mouthwatering smell. Kreatosoupa is great for a big family or a dinner party because it is done in one big pot! Fewer dishes for you to deal with at the end of the night.
Any home cook with any skill level can make this tasty soup with just a few ingredients. Kreatosoupa meaning meaty soup is a simple Greek soup that uses beef as a base to create its signature hearty taste.
The soup was a byproduct of a country-style meal and was served with crusty sourdough bread on the side. The carrots, celery, and onion add to the flavors of the soup. Most Greeks boil the potatoes, carrots, and leeks whole in the soup. After they are cooked, they remove these and serve them on a separate plate with the beef soup.
You can get different results from this soup with your preferred choice of beef cut. If you like, you can use a beef chunk for this recipe. This cut is the front shoulder of the cow. It is the best cut for beef stew and soup. It has very little fat on it, and it is cheaper than other types of beef.
The fat content of the beef is important because if there is too much fat, the soup will be cloudy and way too fatty. There is always room for improvement in a home cook’s flavor combination skills. Don’t hesitate to experiment with different vegetables like leek or fennel. If you fancy, add some oregano or add some spice with chili flakes.
The combinations are endless. All you need is a brave test subject to give you some criticism. But before all that, I suggest trying Kreatosoupa as it is meant to be and see how it can change your perspective on soups!
Flavor Packed Traditional Greek Beef Soup. Authentic Recipe of Kreatosoupa.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1000 grams (2.2 lb) Beef Cut in portions
- 45 ml (1.52 floz) Olive Oil
- 3 pcs Carrot Medium
- 3 units Celery Medium
- 2 pcs White Onion Medium
- 3 pcs Bay Leaf
- 3 pcs Potato Medium
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 1 pc Beef Bouillon Cube
- 1 pc Lemon medium
- 1500 ml (50.72 floz) Water
- Salt To taste
- Pepper Powder To taste
- Slice the beef into chunks of 5cm/2 inches.
- Peel the carrots and potatoes. Julienne (slices) the carrots and leeks. Slice the onion and potatoes into cubes.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil to sauté the beef. The pot must be hot, this way the beef doesn’t stick to the bottom. Brown the beef until it is nicely colored all around.
- Do not overcrowd the pot, the beef chunks won’t brown that way. If the pot is too crowded the chunks will steam and become grey blobs. It is best to brown them in small batches.
- Add the onions and carrots to the same pot and sauté them for 1-2 minutes, until the onions are transparent.
- In the same pot, pour the water to cover the ingredients. If you need more water, feel free to add some more.
- Add the celery, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, and beef cube to the pot. Stir it and bring it to a boil. Season your food at this stage.
- Lower the heat and cover the pot. Simmer the soup for 2 hours or so. Check on it once in a while to make sure the top is clean of foam, and to see if the ingredients are covered.
- Once the beef is cooked thoroughly and the soup is to your liking, add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- For some extra flavors, add a dash of olive oil on top before serving. Kalíórexi! Enjoy your meal!
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making
- The main ingredient of this recipe is beef. So, it is important to choose a good quality beef but also the correct cut of beef.
- Don’t forget to skim the top of the Kreatosoupa occasionally. If you use chunk beef, you won’t get much fat on the top. The fat content of the beef is important because if there is too much fat, the soup will be cloudy and way too fatty.
- If you see that the water is too low and not covering the ingredients, don’t be shy to add more water. It is important to keep the ingredients covered. They want to be warm in this cold water just like you!
- You can make your beef stock for this soup if you choose so. This will give it a meatier flavor and make the soup thicker.
What to serve with
If you want to impress your family with the presentation, serve it with some homemade bread. Add a lemon wedge and chopped parsley on top for extra flair.
- Alternatively, you can make this soup vegetarian with vegetable stock. For protein, you can add meat alternatives or soy alternatives.
- You can add some rice or orzo instead of potato as a starch.
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?