Things to know about Tirokafteri Recipe
Tirokafteri is a traditional dip for meze platters in Greece. These meze platters are packed with many dishes and dips that can be eaten together or separately on their own. They are served before a big meal and are an essential part of Greek Cuisine. They are shared by the whole table and include many popular Greek dishes and dips. In Greek feta means slice, the cheese gets its name from the shape when the curd is ready to cut. Feta cheese doesn’t have a rind and is stored in brine to keep it fresh and preserve its acidity. It can be a part of any meal in Greece and can be fried, baked, grilled, or just as it is. Feta can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Creamy Traditional Greek Feta Cheese Dip. Authentic Recipe of Tirokafteri.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 300 grams (10.58 oz) Feta Cheese
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 pcs Red Chili
- Remove the stem of the pepper and cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and chop the pepper.
- Cut the feta cheese into pieces. In a blender or food processor start mixing the feta cheese and peppers.
- While mixing start adding olive oil and vinegar slowly.
- Add in the milk and blend until the dip is smooth and creamy.
- Serve tirokafteri cold with chopped chilis, and a couple of olives. Kalí órexi! Enjoy your meal!
- The dip may harden when refrigerated. To avoid this make the initial dip slightly thin.
- The feta cheese releases its water when refrigerated, it is okay if there is some water around the dip. You can drain tirokafteri and mix, it will taste just fine.
- You can store the tirokafteri in the fridge covered for 4-5 days.
- You can add roasted red peppers to tirokafteri for a smoky taste. You can also add more chilies for a spicier dip.
- If you want more flavor you can roast or fry the peppers before cutting.
If you want a smoother dip you can add 1-2 tbsp of yogurt.
Since milk and cheese neutralize the spice in the chilies you can be generous with the amount you want to add.
Serve tirokafteri on a meze platter with other appetizers or serve by itself with some pita bread. You can choose to serve tirokafteri with Greek meatballs.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.