Things to know about Gígantes Plakí Recipe
Gigantes plaki is made from large white beans which are cooked and then baked in a tomato sauce, which is seasoned with traditional Greek herbs like oregano, parsley, and mint. The beans known as “fasóli gígantes” are authentic Greek beans that are large, the reason why it was named gigantic. The best way to have the full authentic experience for Gigantes plaki is to find these gigantic beans.
Delicious Traditional Greek Giant Baked Beans. Authentic Recipe of Gígantes Plakí.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 500 grams (1.1 lb) Giant Bean – Gigantes Bean Large
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pc Onion Large
- 4-5 tbsp Fresh Parsley
- ½ tbsp Celery Medium
- ½ cup Water Hot
- 400 grams (14.11 oz) Canned Chopped Tomato
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Dill Fresh
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Soak the beans in water overnight in a good amount of water. Drain them and rinse them well with water.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350 °F.
- In a large pan drop the Gigantes in and make sure they are covered with cold water. Add a pinch of salt and cover them. Bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Simmer the beans until they are tender but not cooked all the way. Drain and set aside.
- Chop the onions, celery, and parsley, and peel the garlic.
- In a baking pan pour the olive oil in, and add the onions and whole garlic. Bake for 15 minutes until they are soft.
- Take the baking pan out and add Gigantes beans, celery, parsley, and hot water, season with salt and pepper. Return in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take the pan out and add the tomatoes. Season with oregano and salt.
- Bake Gigantes plaki for 50-60 minutes more until the beans are cooked through, soft, and tender.
- Serve hot. Kalí órexi! Enjoy your meal!
- If you can’t find Gigantes beans you can substitute large lima beans or elephant beans.
- You can use 600 grams (21 oz) of ripe tomatoes instead of canned. You need to grate these tomatoes.
- If you don’t have time to soak the beans. Rinse them under water, put them in a large pot, and cover them with water. Boil them for 5 minutes, then place them in a baking pan. Bake them at 180°C/350 °F covered with aluminum for 2 hours. Towards the last 30 minutes bake them uncovered.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?