Things to know about Szegedi Halaszle Recipe
Fisherman’s soup is one of the main dishes on Christmas in Hungary. It is a hot soup prepared with different types of river fish. Traditionally, fish soup is prepared in a small kettle on an open fire by real fishermen. This soup originally comes from Szeged, the small city of Csongrád county (located on the Danube banks). There are two types of fishermen’s soup in Hungary; one is from Szeged, and the other is from Baja. Many variations include fish roe, giving the broth a mealy texture.
Tasteful Traditional Hungarian Fish Soup from Szeged. Original Recipe of Szegedi Halaszle.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 600 grams (1.32 lb) Carp
- 600 grams (1.32 lb) Catfish
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) Pike
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 300 grams (10.58 oz) Red Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 pc Chilli Pepper Small
- 4 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) Tomato
- Remove the fish scales, clean them thoroughly, and set aside the eggs and the fish's milk. Chop the carp, catfish, and pike into 2 cm (0.7 inches) slices. Put the pike in cold water with diced red onion and cook until it becomes a fish broth.
- Meanwhile, the carp and catfish that we have previously cut into 2 cm (0.7 inches), season with salt, and paprika, and set aside. Add some salt to the broth and let it cook slowly for 1 hour.
- Then add the hot pepper powder and cook until the fish meat falls off the bones.
- Once the broth is done, separate the liquid (broth) from all the fish remains and meat. Once done, place the carp fish, catfish, fish milk, and fish roe in the broth, and boil it. After boiling it for 15 minutes, add the diced sweet peppers, tomatoes, and sliced chili peppers.
- Then we cook it ready for another 10 minutes by slowly boiling it. The original Szegedi fish soup is usually made in a cauldron over an open fire. If it is cooked in a kettle, the fish is cut similarly, but during cooking, we layer it by placing the head, tail, and smaller pieces of fish in the cauldron's bottom.
- Then we add the chopped red onion, sprinkle it with some paprika powder, fill the pan with cold water, and cook it by slowly boiling it.
There are two types of fishermen's soup in Hungary; one is from Szeged, and the other is from Baja. If you are going for Baja halászlé, you can expect it to include gyufatésztá (egg, noodle pasta).
Serve it with some white bread slices and soak it in the soup.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.