Things to know about Rujak Cingur Recipe
This unique variation of the Indonesian salad used beef muzzle as one of its main ingredients, it is recognized by the locals as rujak cingur. “Cingur” is the Javanese word for mouth. It is one of the popular dishes in Surabaya City, located in East Java, and is the second-largest city in Indonesia. There are a lot of arguments about when did this dish first appear, but most of them are absurd.
Locally, it is thought that the Indonesian tradition of not wanting to waste anything first triggered the idea to create this dish. Beef muzzles are oftentimes just thrown away and disregarded, due to most people not considering them edible. But locals living in Surabaya at that time were curious and tried using the muzzle for their dishes. Possibly, this dish is first created by the middle-lower class as a way for them to enjoy beef, as the price of beef was very expensive back then. Though one way or another, this dish ended up being delicious and enjoyed by the majority of Surabaya citizens, whether rich or poor.
There are two main variations of rujak cingur, which are “biasa” or served raw, and “matengan” or served cooked. The difference is whether the vegetables are cooked or not. The matengan variant does not use fruits as its ingredients, whereas the biasa variant used jicama, pineapple, and other type of fruits. Either way, this dish is unique and you would not want to miss out on it!
Savory Traditional Indonesian Salad Served with Beef Muzzle and Peanut Sauce from Surabaya. Authentic Recipe of Rujak Cingur.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 250 grams (8.82 oz) Beef Muzzle
- 50 grams (1.76 oz) Bean Sprout
- 350 grams (12.35 oz) Water Spinach – River Spinach – Water Morning Glory – Water Convolvulus – Kangkung
- 1 pc Cucumber Large
- 1 pc Jicama
- 1/2 board Tempeh
- 2 pcs Yellow Tofu
- 8 pcs Red Bird’s Eye Chili Pepper
- 3 tbsp Roasted Peanut
- 2 tbsp Petis Udang – Black Fermented Shrimp Paste – Terasi
- 2 clove Garlic
- 4 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 2 tbsp Palm Sugar – Palm Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 pcs Pisang Raja Banana – Musa Belle Banana – Klutuk Wulung Banana – Pisang Batu – Musa Balbisiana Banana Banana
- Firstly, prepare your Klutuk Wulungbanana and grate it using a grater.
- Then, into a food processor, add the chili peppers, peanut, garlic, palm sugar, salt, and the banana. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer into a bowl and add black shrimp paste, tamarind juice, and enough water to help mix them all. Mix well with a spoon.
Cingur and Salad
- Wash the beef muzzle well until clean, Boil in water until tender, around 20-30minutes.
- Take the water spinach, and separate the leaves from the stem. Boil the leaves in a pot until soft and cooked.
- Take some of the boiling water and pour it over the beansprouts. Let them soak in hot water for a few minutes, strain, and set aside.
- Peel the jicama and cucumber. Slice thinly.
- Prepare a small frying pan and fry the tofu until crisp. Slice into cubes.
- To serve, into a bowl, place all the vegetables and fruits, along with the beef muzzle in even portions.
- Pour a generous amount of peanut sauce on top.
- The dish is ready to be enjoyed.
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?