This sweet and savory tofu and peanut sauce – Tahu Gimbal recipe from Semarang is guaranteed to be authentic and curated from local street food.
Things to know about Tahu Gimbal Recipe
Tahu Gimbal is a traditional dish from Indonesia, native to the Central Java Region. The name gimbal is the local word for curly because of the shape of the fritters that resemble curly hair.
This dish has been a common staple of the Semarang people since the 19th century. This dish has been enjoyed by people all around Indonesia. This dish is different from other types of fritters or fried foods because of the use of prawns in the batter.
The peanut sauce is also unique due to the fact it uses petis (black-fermented shrimp paste) which gives a strong and savory flavor to the dish.
Sweet and Savory Traditional Indonesian Tofu with Peanut Sauce from Semarang. Authentic Recipe of Tahu Gimbal.
— General Atributes of This Recipe:
— ADAPT THE SERVINGS OR PORTIONS BY ENTERING YOUR DESIRED VALUE —
- 1 block White Tofu
- 20 grams (0.71 oz) Bean Sprout
- 20 grams (0.71 oz) Cabbage
- 30 grams (1.06 oz) Cucumber
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanut
- 2 pcs Red Curly Chili Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Petis Udang – Black Fermented Shrimp Paste – Terasi
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 20 grams (0.71 oz) Palm Sugar – Palm Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 50 mL (1.69 floz) Water
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Prawn
- 1 pc Lime
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour – Plain Flour
- 1/2 tbsp Rice Flour
- 50 mL (1.69 floz) Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Chicken Stock Powder
- Mix all peanut sauce ingredients onto mortar and pestle and grind them until chunky.
- Add water to adjust the consistency of the sauce.
Cooking the Dish
- Wash the prawns and marinate with lime juice and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, rice flour, water, and chicken stock powder. Mix well.
- Coat each prawn generously with the batter.
- Prepare a large wok and add enough oil for deep frying. Bring it to heat.
- Deep fry the prawn until golden brown.
- Strain the fritter.
- Slice the tofu into small dice, about 1 cm (1/2 inch).
- Deep fry the tofu until golden brown.
- Place tofu, fritters, bean sprout, and cabbage into the serving plate and pour over a generous amount of peanut sauce.
- The dish is ready to be served!
— Specific Atributes of This Recipe:
Cooking tip for making Tahu Gimbal
You can adjust the heat of the dish by adding or reducing the amount of peppers used.
What to serve with Tahu Gimbal?
This dish is best served with lontong (Indonesian traditional rice cake)
Photo Disclaimer: – Images used in this article are owned by the respective individuals, artists, or other parties who post on their private social media accounts. These images only serve as an inspiration and cannot be copied (images or designs) for personal use.
Health Disclaimer: Agoralia is not responsible for any health problems that could be related to the information provided on the website. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. The content is for informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional medical advice reliance on or use of the information on the website is at their own risk. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?